Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing Keys

• Please log in to reply

gerhard7

gerhard7

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a problem on my XP laptop that some of the keys on the keyboard are not working. E.g 13568&0 work but not 247&9, same sort of thing with the letters, O works but not P.
What I have tried so far:
Restore to an earlier point. (this did work the first time but when the problem returned shortly afterwards I tried the doing same with no success)
Checked the keyboard connection to the MB.
Uninstalled the keyboard driver. (Windows re-installs this automatically when you restart the PC)
Tried an exorcism to drive the demons out (no success)

Can anyone help please!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What brand and model?

How old is it? Is it still under warranty?

gerhard7

gerhard7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
No specific brand (custom build for video editing)
4 years old, so no warranty

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
a bit more detail, by not working do you mean that the key does not type or that another key is in its place

any incident that you might remember that has caused this problem, have you banged the laptop at some point, one idea is that there is a tapelike cord under the keyboard which connects to the motherboard and this could be playing up, but that would be a repair shop workload not yours

if, and I don't thnk so, it is software then perhaps a repair with cd might work
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

btw exorcism is done by our clairvoyancy department(security), not in the goblin's lair(hardware)

Edited by fleamailman, 12 December 2006 - 06:13 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Another thing to try is attaching an external keyboard to it, to see if you get the same behavior. That will tell you if it's particular to the laptop keyboard (wiring or key membranes), or if it's the controller.

Another possible cause of malfunctioning keys is liquid spill. Is there any indication on or around the keys that are acting up that liquid might have been spilled there?