Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application failed TAPI32.dll not found

• Please log in to reply

Kniht

Kniht

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
http://groups.google...b4f9b9fcfc14075

Edited by Kniht, 12 December 2006 - 07:51 PM.

Advertisements

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Interesting idea - but I haven't added any fax software recently nor used any fax software on my computer - what I have added though is drivers and utilities for an Avery Personal Label Printer PLP9100 - maybe I should take that away and see if things improve?

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
The reason I threw that in there was your post was blank. Only the title was present. Figured if I posted just anything, you would respond and it worked. :whistling:

What application were you trying to start when you got the error message?

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you - don't know where my original message went - I even previewed it before posting. Here is waht it said:

I get the following message related to Skype.exe and Google ToolbarNotifier.exe:

"This application has failed because TAPI32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

I have tried to re-install both these applications - the message still appears.
I have done a Google search for TAPI32.dll problems and found products that guarantee to fix the problem for free and after diagnosis ask for $29. I did this with Uniblue Registry Booster - still have the problem.

I hesitate to pay for any more of these programs.

Strange - but the applications still run OK - all I have to do is X out of the dialog boxes and carry on.

Any suggested solutions?

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I know this isn't going to help much with your problem, but a while back everytime I tried to disable a program from startup using msconfig I would be presented with this error message:

"An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator Account to make the specified changes".

I would click on the OK button, the error message would cease and I could make changes in msconfig as usual. Basically the error message was just an annoyance.

Apparently, these what I call "false" error messages have something to do with the registry. I use ERUNT to backup my registry on a daily basis. I keep 7 days of these registry backups, so I used ERUNT to restore the registry to a couple days before this msconfig error message appeared and that solved the problem. No more annoying error message. At the time of the message, I was uninstalling applications I no longer used so one of the uninstalls must have pulled something out of the registry it wasn't suppose to.

Possibly a System Restore would help with your problem, but as I'm sure you know, there's no guarantee.

This might help: http://www.dougknox.com/

Click on "Win XP Fixes", then "File Association Fixes", then click on "EXE File association fix". Won't hurt to try. May kick start something in the registry.

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you for the further good suggestions - and will try the exe fix.

Early on I decided to solve the problem by doing a system restore - but although I have dates available - none of them would restore!

I looked in C:/Windows/System and found no file called TAPI32.dll - there is though a TAPI.dll
I checked my other computer (desktop not my tablet pc laptop) and found the same .dll file situation.

I went out on the web yesterday and found myself a copy of TAPI32.dll, and downloaded it - should I put it in C:/Windows/System? - or will bad things happen to me?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I wouldn't do that. that file is a windows legit file.

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Should there be a TAPI32.dll on my computer? Neither of my machines has one

The file I downloaded gives a version number and source as Microsoft

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
I have TAPI32.dll located in the System32 folder and my PC hasn't self destructed ------------yet.

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hmm . . . System32 folder - didn't look there - I was looking in the System folder!
Went to System32 folder and I have TAPI.dll there and not TAPI32.dll!

The file I downloaded is version 5.1.2600.2180 - is that current?

Advertisements

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
If your OS version is 5.1 and the build is 2600, then what you downloaded should work.

TAPI32.dll file version 5.1.2600.2180 is what I have in System32.

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you again - but where do I find the OS version and build number? My system in control panels doesn't give that information.

I have decided to move a copy of TAPI32.dll from my desktop rather than risk the downloaded version - it is version 5.1.2600.2180

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
A good program for displaying System Information is WinAudit (freeware)

Better than anything built in.

Download here: http://www.pxserver.com/WinAudit.htm

munyama

munyama

• Pip
  • 9 posts
You have been so kind and helpful - I have learned so much while troubleshooting this problem. I am downloading the utility you recommended right now.

The Uniblue Register Booster people said that there program should have worked and have offered to refund my money if it doesn't.

Kniht

Kniht

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

The Uniblue Register Booster people said that there program should have worked and have offered to refund my money if it doesn't.

Great to find folks that actually back a product they sell!