Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thoughts on partitioning new HDD?

• Please log in to reply

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Well, once there was a time when we had to partition big new hard drives into many drive letters to worry about performance.

Is this still much of an issue? I am buying a new SATA2 320 GB NCQ hard drive and am trying to decide on my partitioning scheme.

I would love just one big fat C drive to be honest, but I will be running some HD intensive apps so this may be a bad choice. I will be using NTFS.

So basically looking to hear from some folks who have experience with similar drives and what they think the best partitioning scheme would be to allow me to have as large of partitions as possible without performance impacts.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look here...

http://partition.radified.com/

http://www.pcworld.c...,1/article.html

the short answer is at least 3 partitions...1st for your operating system...2nd for programs...3rd for your my documents folders..all your music ...pictures ....data...ect.

this will make running your tools quicker by only running against the 1st partition...same for defrag...another benefit is if / when your OS goes haywire...you can reinstall quickly without losing any data..or having to copy all the data back to the drive...

Edited by happyrck, 13 December 2006 - 08:38 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I tend to avoid having a partition seperate for applications, but i always have one for the OS and one for data(if there is an OS on that drive of course) One in the file system of the OS and the other in FAT. I dont use an applications partition because its always caused me more hassle than its worth.

If i create another partition beyond my two standard ones i do on all drives(OS & Data) its either for another OS or for backups but i tend to not use HDDs for backups i prefer optical media as its a bit more durable.

So 2 would be my advice for you, your C drive which i would but at somewhere between 100 and 120 if you have allot of large apps half that if you don't use anything bigger than maybe a gigabyte. Then the rest as an FAT logical partition for storing all your files. That combination will probably be best for you giving you data security but plenty easy to find and use disk space i know i dont like having umpteen drives and partition i lose things that way and you dont want to forget what partition you want to install things like your OS onto.

Serrik

Serrik

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
That was a good link, thanks for that. Not so much new information but gave me some ideas.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I dont use an applications partition because its always caused me more hassle than its worth.

ya..some programs put hooks into windows...so you might as well put them on the C:.....other stand alone programs will work on a separate partition just fine....I should have mentioned a FAT partition for data...that way linux and windows can both read and write to it...good catch warriorscot...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I learned the FAT for data thing the hard way, you can still use a ntfs partition with linux but its such a PITA to get it to write to the thing in NTFS.