Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

samdabull

samdabull

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
so one day my computer finally decided to stop working. it does not stay on for more than 4 seconds...
the power button does nothing i have to unplug it from the back & put it back in then it turns on for 4 seconds
& shuts off... i thought my power supply was the problem so i went and bought 600 watt p.s. & i still have the same problem.. can anybody tell me what's wrong N how can i fix this... PLEASEEEEEEEEE

Advertisements

Jwarne

Jwarne

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I recently encountered this same problem. My laptop was sitting on my lap then suddenly turned off. The power button wouldn't do anything, unless I removed the battery and reinserted it. It will not recognize that its connected top the adapter and still says its running off its battery. I bought a docking station because I thought it was a problem with the power adapter port and the problem is still not resolved. After I reinsert the battery the computer will turn on for about 1-4 minutes then suddenly turn off.

Could this be a virus????

Bobbydoo8

Bobbydoo8

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
samdabull-- I would check the bios if you can get into it quick enough without it trying to restart...Also the cmos battery on your motherboard might have finally died($1.00) replacement if that is the problem. The cmos battery looks like a little watch battery towards the bottom right on most motherboards. Take the power cable off your psu then take out the battery(making sure no batteries are put back in for 3 hrs)..then go to a computer shop or something, may be able to get one from walmart, and replace the battery.. That may be the problem hard to diagnose without being there to see it.

Jwarne --because yours actually boots up for a couple minutes i would simply reinstall winxp on ur system.