Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi all, problem with hard drive.

• Please log in to reply

DjFonti

DjFonti

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hello all, a while back I managed to do a format and install of Win98 SE thanks to the help of this forum. However, on my 20gb harddrive, I only have half the capacity I can use thanks to a partition I created whilst performing the above. Needless to say, the extra space would be very handy. I was wondering if anyone knew whether there was a procedure to regain this space without having to lose any data or do anything drastic...basically the other half of my drive. Is there a way or am I doomed on this one? Thanks for any advice.... :whistling:

Advertisements

evilwizard

evilwizard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
If you partitioned the hard drive when you formatted and installed 98 you should be able to see the partition when you open my computer. You would see, C-drive - that would be your 98 partition & you should see a h or J - drive that would label your partition with free space.

I would also ask how old the computer is as I once had an old computer that the mother board would not recognize a large hard drive.

You can also check your c-moss and see if it's set to see a large hard drive.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
If you don’t have a BIOS limitation you can use fdisk to create a extended partition
Then you can create logical partitions in the extended partition if you need more than one partition.

Be Careful: With just a few keystrokes, FDISK can wipe out part or all of your hard disk. Generally speaking, don't use FDISK unless you need to, and make sure you understand what you are doing before you begin.

FDISK SIMULATION

http://www.computerh...com/sfdisk1.htm

Or use something like Partition Magic to extend the C partition to the full use of the drive if you like. Partition Magic is none destructive.

Partition Management Utilities (Partition Magic, etc.)

http://www.pcguide.c...e/progPM-c.html

DjFonti

DjFonti

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Cheers for the reply people. I created it whilst doing the format and install, just because I was told to, but nothing comes up on 'My computer', just a single c-drive with a 9gb capacity. Before I formatted it had two drives (C and D), so it doesn't have trouble recognising. I shall look into those links Peter, thanks again to both of you.