Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Initial Install of XP Pro BSOD Errors

• Please log in to reply

Walt359

Walt359

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I could use some help with a Windows XP Pro installation. Upon initial install the programs begins to install normally, but when copying files some of the DLL files don't copy, or have to be prompted to attempt the copy again. The following files did not copy:

setupapi.dll, mfc42u.dll, and query.dll

These files have to be skipped for the install to complete. Once this processes is complete, the system starts to run windows for the first time, but I get a Blue Screen which states an error has occurred and windows terminated to prevent damage to my system.

The code at the bottom reads *** STOP: 0X0000001E (0XFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0XFFFFF80000ii83697, 0X0000000000000000, 0X00000000FFFFFFEE).

This is a new home built system. It is an ASUS P5N32 SLI Premium, with Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.93 Ghz proc, 4g of Cosair XMS Ram, EVGA NVidia 7950 GTX Video, Creative X-Fi Sound, Western Digital Raptor 150g hd, with 3 Seagate Barracuda 750g HD, Ben Q Light Scribe DVD RW. I'm running Windows XP Pro 64.

I have disconnected the barracuda drives for the time being. My next step is removing memory chips one at a time and running windows install again. If anyone out there had encounteded this problem before, any help would be great.

Thanks

Walt

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible

Does the chipset recognise 4GB Ram

You could try installing with less Ram

Walt359

Walt359

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Keith,

The chipset recognizes all the hardware. I will try removing all but one of my 4 RAM chips and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Walt

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I wanted to fit 4GB Corsair Ram but the chipset has a 3GB limit, hence the question

Hope it goes well

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I believe the problem is related to the 64 bit edition of windows

Q. The installation goes okay, but the first time it boots up, I get a blue screen? What do I do?
A.

This is a problem with SATA drives that don't have a correct driver loaded during initial installation. New drivers for x64 require correct "decorations" and while they may appear to be accepted during the text mode phase of installation, they will fail during the initial GUI boot. For more information, read changes for vendor-provided storage drivers loaded using F6.

for troubleshooting go here......

http://www.microsoft...sel_x64faq.mspx