Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot connect to computer/files on network - Resolved

• Please log in to reply

SParisi

SParisi

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I recently purchased a new PC (XP Home) and am not able to connect to my laptop (XP Pro). Before the new PC I had folders that I shared and then set them up as a Network Place on my laptop. I could then synchronize the laptop to the PC using Offline Files. Every so often a box would pop up that I'd have to log on to my PC using any user name/password.

Now neither system can see eachother in the Network Neighborhood. I've gone through the Network setup Wizard and help docs on Windows with no luck...any suggestions? I have a Linksys Wireless router that is setup as the gateway.

Thanks!!

Edited by SParisi, 13 December 2006 - 12:07 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the firewall settings, Zone Alarm will only allow sharing when set for the trusted zone

See if Synctoy for XP from my signature will let you share folders

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks, that seemed to work! It's weird, my PC can see my laptop on the network but laptop still cannot see PC. Well, the Synctoy app did the trick! Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you try loading the XP CD in the laptop and click perform extra tasks to install networking from there

Unlikely to be the firewall if Synctoy runs

SParisi

SParisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Is there a difference between the CD and just running the network wizard in Control Panel?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Anything is possible with XP