Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive "transplant" help.

• Please log in to reply

AlboLS

AlboLS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have this computer with a fried mother board and power supply, I'm sure most of you can guess what brand it is. So I went out and bought a new one, same brand(unfortunately) but a different model with more goodies. What I wanted to know was whether I could take the hard drive off my old one that crapped out and install it on my new one without any kind of installation CD or software, just plug and play. I just want it as a secondary HD for pics, and games, etc. Any help is really appreciated!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If you want to install the hd from your old computer as a slave drive for data storage etc, no problem. Just set the jumper to slave and install it on the slave connector of the EIDE ribbon cable.

AlboLS

AlboLS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. If you want to install the hd from your old computer as a slave drive for data storage etc, no problem. Just set the jumper to slave and install it on the slave connector of the EIDE ribbon cable.

awesome! Thanks!

what about all the programs and drives that are installed on it from the old computer will those be deleted automatically or cause any kind of trouble at all?

Edited by AlboLS, 13 December 2006 - 10:05 AM.

AlboLS

AlboLS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Okay, so here's where I'm at:

I set the old one from C/S to slave and the one in it from C/S to Master. When I went to get into my files it said "Access Denied." So I thought "okay, my old windows password maybe." I tried to reboot in slave but it went straight to the same boot up from the master drive. Am I doing something wrong here? I've been reading stuff about this all day and ran into something about taking the jumpers on both of them back to the C/S. Is this right? A little more guidance would be greatly appreciated!

AlboLS

AlboLS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Problem solved.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Glad you got if working.