Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unidentified problem with programs

• Please log in to reply

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have 4 shortcuts and 1 text file showing in there.
I retrieved everything out of there I could already. well.. cept that text file. should I get that too? I can tell you now though that after retrieveing those text files it is a regedit4 file that will make ie not work again. ask me how I know this? :whistling:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on one of the program icons that are running from the recycle bin, choose "Properties". Copy the information in the "Target" field and paste it here for me.

Edited by wannabe1, 13 December 2006 - 09:51 PM.

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm sorry was I not clear earlier? windows defender and windows update were running from there before the others got trashed, I recovered all I could yesterday and they havnt been put back there since.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry if I seem to be bouncing off walls...just trying to get a picture of what your machine is doing and why. This is a bit of an odd problem. Let's work on the Internet connection problem. Still have that going on, right?

Using Internet Explorer, click This Link. What happens?

Click HERE to test the ActiveX components. Do you see the date and time in the box?

Are you still getting the Java error?

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
OK. I got the windows update. It says I have no updates to install and that I am configured for automatic updates, I should have checked update history.. just thought of that. I had to install the active x control and yes it is working.
I was browsing through the files again and noticed that ie7 was not there. i ran a search and found that files were not checked to show hidden and that was hidden, it is also colored blue (text) I am running iexplorer now and not ie7.
In pchealth I also found a few of the collected logs that have what looks like added script in them.

I know your trying hun and I appreciate it tons. I just want to slap the parents silly ( asking God for forgiveness ) for not protecting their machines. Good thing there not home right now eh? :whistling:

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh and .. I'm scared to death to surf the internet now after the scripting to the notepad incident so as far as any of thos probs go I dunno...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Taking stock of where we are...

Java problem...done
ActiveX problem...done
Update problem...done

What about Spades? Can "Grumpy Old Man" play his card game?

Do another search for dialupass.exe now that hidden files and folders is set to show.

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Good morning :whistling:

All that is working yes, and search still came up with no results.

on loadup, everytime, windows defender says there has been an application change in MpCmdRun.exe
login on this site gave me an error. Then signed me in to my control panel which that has never happened before.
Now bottom bar says error on page. symbol is a blank page with yellow triangle, exclamation point in triangle.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

An application registration change has been made for a known application file C:\program Files\windowdefender\MpCmdRun.exe

Is this the error notice you receive via a pop up dialog?

This will happen if you have the box checked to notify you about "Changes made to your computer by software that is allowed to run" in Windows Defender. What you're seeing specifically is the WinDefend service updating the scheduled scan jobs, which is normal.

Still working on the dialupass.exe thing. This could be entirely benign...so far, it could go either way. I'll need to research this some more.

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
when I got the error on page earlier I viewed the page - view source, not that I know exactly what I'm looking for, and there was a myass-drag and myass- ... something else. Is that totally non related? or do you want to see the file?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Totally unrelated...that's part of the code in this BB.

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok I have a question about the hidden folders. I went back to the control panel and unchecked hide system folders. I searched again for the dialupass.exe and got the temporary internet folder where that log came from but no programs. I hadnt reset my folder options and noticed I still had hidden files and folders. Is this normal? How do I unhide these?

Miserey

" Those who say there are no stupid questions have not heard mine. "

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok that came out all wrong. Probably why you gave up on me??? lol
When I checked show hidden files and folders I was seeing folders and files, not light colored, not hidden anymore. With system files and folders I understand them still being classified as hidden and that you can view them. What I didnt and still dont quite understand is why a document folder ie... myfolder\cookies is still being hidden? Hidden with a check I cant uncheck?
I also found encrypted data in files in these folders. this in ntuser.dat;

regf¬ ¬ ÄýÛ ¾Ç    @
 t t i n g s \ A d m i n i s t r a t o r \ n t u s e r . d a t *ÇklDIRTÿ i n d o w s \ U s r C l a s s . d a t ÿ ÿ ÿ ÿ

and as I said earlier html script that was changed in the pchealth\... \data coll html files.

I know what I say doesnt always come out right, but I know what I'm trying to say. :whistling: Please dont give up on me.

Miserey

" I know you believe you understand what you think I said but I am not sure you realize that what I said is not what I meant. "

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

When you say you still have hidden files showing, is it because the text is in blue? Or because the file is shown as a "ghost" icon?

What do you see as the most pressing issue at the moment?

How is the machine running...overall?

Miserey

Miserey

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi hun :rofl:
Sorry it took so long to get back. Seems I was being rerouted to false pages? Way back in the begining when I said This Machine was not getting updates? windows, norton, you name it. I started noticing that my browser windows wernt displaying right, text not ligning up. Search engines give me results to off the wall places instead of places like geeks to go or castle cops and never did I get any displays for microsoft. When at microsoft or norton 99% of the time search engines come back with nothing. If I click on a link it either does nothing or goes to about:blank. If I type in the url and click the go button I can get to the page I want. but from there I dont know what I'll get.

The hidden files are shown as ghost icons, but I dont have the option to unhide them. I dont understand an administrative account not being able to unhide a folder or file. Some of the folders have nothing to do with system files. I do have folders and files in blue. Some are hidden, some are system files, some are neither.

Most pressing issue? :blink: all of the above?

While you were tending to your own problems, I managed to get to Nortons list of viruses and threats. Where I learned that Grumpy Grampa ( our affectionate term for the Grumpy Old Man ) had Backdoor.Spotcom. I was not successful at removing it. I also looked into that dialupass.exe and did some checking through files and registry keys. After much frustration I managed to get to microsoft and I ran the live onecare safety scanner. where I found that I didnt have enough memory to run all of it properly, It cleaned up some things for me then gave me all these things to do before I came back to run it again.
One of the things it listed was possible hacker toolkits. Brings me back to where you were :whistling:

I'll be honest, I dont exactly know which things to do first. From what Microsoft says all these toolkits can be found and removed in following a few steps and running the malicious software tool. Is this true?

Unlike Geeks to go I didnt find thier instructions easy.
Step by Step instructions for the tech illiterates such as myself are wonderful.

Soooo can you hold me by the hand and babysit me through this? :) I promise to try not to make you want to kill me :help:

Miserey

" I dont know why I keep getting sent home with notes saying I dont play well with others "