Right the Problem:
Whenever i play games (3D games) i enocuter a problem whereby my PC freezes and displays the following:
Now this shows the error on Rollercoaster tycoon but i have the same problem in Company of heroes, call of duty and world of warcraft acutually it even did it once when i veiwed the album art in itunes.
The computer displays wavey white lines and sometimes they are thicker than others? The thing is at first the whole pc stops i cant here anything and then little bits of sound come back and then it all comes back except the display. I can here my character in warcraft walking around but the screen is frozen and so i have to restart the pc. The problem can happen 5 mins into a game 25 mins, 55mins any time.
Now your probably thinking its a grapghics card problem or maybe your not?
What I have tried:
To be honest i tried so much that ive forgotten some but i have tried the following:
1. The latest drivers. The card I have is an gainward Nvidia 7900GT 512mb Golden sample edition. I have tried the drivers that came with it, the latest drivers and every driver in between. When triing the different drivers i have used driver cleaner pro to remove them or ive formatted the PC.
2. OS. I have tried Windows 2000, Windows XP home and XP 64bit and have the same problem.
3. Another graphics card. I brought my new nvidia in july this year after i was having problems running games at high quality with my Saphire x700 pro, however i have tried my x700 pro again and the same error doesnt show (the white lines) but the pc does freeze and i can here the game carrying on.
4. Format. I have done more formats than days in a year. Well it feels that way. I do several full formats before i put a OS on i dont just do 1.
5. Tested the RAM? Yes I have tested the Ram in another machine and it runs fine and i have tried memtest and it says no errors.
6. Hard Drive? I have tried 2 different hard drives but had no luck.
7. Power Supply. I have a seasonic 500W PSU that is ok for SLi so it should be fine for just 1 card. I brought it new in july along with the card.
8. Cooling. My pc has 4 case fans and an exhaust fan. Also the prossor has a artic freezer pro on it to keep that cool. Also all the wires are neat and there is alot of room in the case.
9. I have upgraded the bios to see if that worked but had no luck.
10. Im asking for your help on this forum.
One thing i havent been able to try is the card in another PC because i cant get my hands on a PCIE pc only an agp one. Also im not sure if it could be the processor because I am also unable to test that.
One thing that causes me concern is the noise comming from the CPU fan (artic freezer pro) one minute it is just a wherring sound and the next minute it sounds like its going to blow up and the next minute it is normal again and so on.
Also i should point out that for a time i did have my CPU overclocked it isnt now though i put it back as i couldnt get a good speed out of it without it crashing so its now back to the core speed.
Finally i cant take the nvidia card back as i cant find the reciept
I have asked some people and 1 seys it is the nvidia card even though the radeon one locks up but in a different way. 1 person says the motherboard and all I know is im 17 spent £235 ($450) on a grapghics card £80 ($160) on a PSU and £200 ($400) on a monitor because my old one broke. All that in one year has left me with hardly any cash left. So I could really do with your advise, if it is a particular thing i dont mind finding the cash to buy a new but i dont want to buy parts to replace something that wont resolve the problem.
Hope you guys can help, I was recommended to this forum by a friend!
Thanks in advance
PS sorry it is so long and heres my system spec:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Gainward 7900 GT 512mb
1GB Kingston value ram 3200
Audigy 2 ZS
200GB Maxtor SATA HDD
500W Seasonic PSU