Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What is causing this problem?

• Please log in to reply

Haynzee

Haynzee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all, Im having some big problems with my pc and im actually ready to through it though a window its annoying me so much.

Right the Problem:

Whenever i play games (3D games) i enocuter a problem whereby my PC freezes and displays the following:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now this shows the error on Rollercoaster tycoon but i have the same problem in Company of heroes, call of duty and world of warcraft acutually it even did it once when i veiwed the album art in itunes.

The computer displays wavey white lines and sometimes they are thicker than others? The thing is at first the whole pc stops i cant here anything and then little bits of sound come back and then it all comes back except the display. I can here my character in warcraft walking around but the screen is frozen and so i have to restart the pc. The problem can happen 5 mins into a game 25 mins, 55mins any time.

Now your probably thinking its a grapghics card problem or maybe your not?

What I have tried:

To be honest i tried so much that ive forgotten some but i have tried the following:

1. The latest drivers. The card I have is an gainward Nvidia 7900GT 512mb Golden sample edition. I have tried the drivers that came with it, the latest drivers and every driver in between. When triing the different drivers i have used driver cleaner pro to remove them or ive formatted the PC.

2. OS. I have tried Windows 2000, Windows XP home and XP 64bit and have the same problem.

3. Another graphics card. I brought my new nvidia in july this year after i was having problems running games at high quality with my Saphire x700 pro, however i have tried my x700 pro again and the same error doesnt show (the white lines) but the pc does freeze and i can here the game carrying on.

4. Format. I have done more formats than days in a year. Well it feels that way. I do several full formats before i put a OS on i dont just do 1.

5. Tested the RAM? Yes I have tested the Ram in another machine and it runs fine and i have tried memtest and it says no errors.

6. Hard Drive? I have tried 2 different hard drives but had no luck.

7. Power Supply. I have a seasonic 500W PSU that is ok for SLi so it should be fine for just 1 card. I brought it new in july along with the card.

8. Cooling. My pc has 4 case fans and an exhaust fan. Also the prossor has a artic freezer pro on it to keep that cool. Also all the wires are neat and there is alot of room in the case.

9. I have upgraded the bios to see if that worked but had no luck.

10. Im asking for your help on this forum.

One thing i havent been able to try is the card in another PC because i cant get my hands on a PCIE pc only an agp one. Also im not sure if it could be the processor because I am also unable to test that.

One thing that causes me concern is the noise comming from the CPU fan (artic freezer pro) one minute it is just a wherring sound and the next minute it sounds like its going to blow up and the next minute it is normal again and so on.

Also i should point out that for a time i did have my CPU overclocked it isnt now though i put it back as i couldnt get a good speed out of it without it crashing so its now back to the core speed.

Finally i cant take the nvidia card back as i cant find the reciept :whistling:

I have asked some people and 1 seys it is the nvidia card even though the radeon one locks up but in a different way. 1 person says the motherboard and all I know is im 17 spent £235 ($450) on a grapghics card £80 ($160) on a PSU and £200 ($400) on a monitor because my old one broke. All that in one year has left me with hardly any cash left. So I could really do with your advise, if it is a particular thing i dont mind finding the cash to buy a new but i dont want to buy parts to replace something that wont resolve the problem.

Hope you guys can help, I was recommended to this forum by a friend!

Thanks in advance :blink:

Mark

PS sorry it is so long and heres my system spec:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Gigabyte K8NXP-SlI
Gainward 7900 GT 512mb
1GB Kingston value ram 3200
Audigy 2 ZS
200GB Maxtor SATA HDD
500W Seasonic PSU

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
could be a heat or voltage issue...get everest home and run it...click on the + sign on computer..then on the sensor icon...use whatever screen capture program you like..(print screen will work)...attach the pic back here..

http://www.majorgeek...wnload4181.html

does it only do it on games...

Edited by happyrck, 13 December 2006 - 10:28 AM.

Haynzee

Haynzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi thanks for the reply... The print screen is below and yeh it happens in games only but once it did happen in itunes when looking at the album art.

Oh just wanted to add this was taken when the pc had been just switched on after about 1 hour of been off.

Posted Image

Thanks

Mark

Edited by Haynzee, 13 December 2006 - 12:23 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
temps and voltage's look good...
now try after running a game for a few minutes...
also click on the overclock icon and post that pic too..

look in your bios and make sure your memory timings are set to auto...in fact make sure your bios is set for defaults...usually F5...but read the screen to be sure...save the settings...usually F10...

Haynzee

Haynzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi cheers for getting back below are the screenshots you requested:

Overclocking:

Posted Image

Sensor after game:

Posted Image

Ive set everthing to the defaults in the bios, i tried this before but had no luck. and it still has the same problem now thanks for suggesting it though.

by the way do you think it could be a motherboard fault like my mate says? Just wondered.

Thanks for your help

Mark

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the over clocking is OK...

you have mixed memory modules...a samsung and a kingston...sometimes you can get away with doing that but some don't play well with others...try removing one and then play for awhile...

the temps are still good....

how big is your swap file set to...

Edited by happyrck, 13 December 2006 - 10:55 PM.

Haynzee

Haynzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, is the swap file the virtual memory?? If so this is my virtual memory settings:

Posted Image

Also I have tried with just 1 stick and the same happens and ive also tried with 2 other matched pair ram sticks

thanks for your help

Mark

Edited by Haynzee, 14 December 2006 - 11:30 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I have to leave for about 4 hours...I'll ponder the problem and get back to you this afternoon..