Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry File Failure

• Please log in to reply

SueTD

SueTD

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I saw a post that stated the same problem but the poster did not have the installation CD so the messages continued without saying what to do if you have the CD. I looked at the Microsoft Guide the post mentioned but since I am really technologically challenged, I don't understand it. I also don't know how to determine if I have OEM and it says not to follow those instructions if you have that. I am using my son't lap top to type this and for some reason I could not connect to live chat.

After receiving a message from AOL stating that I had to download something to update my software when I was trying to go online I had to restart the computer and got this message:
STOP: c0000218 (Registry File Failure) The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\DEFAULT or its log or alternate. It is corrupt, absent, or not writable. Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

I did try turning off the computer and choosing restart windows normally and then I tried choosing the message restart using the last know good configuration. It looks like it is starting, both little lights are flashing on the PC and then the light to the right shuts off and the screen goes black before changing to the blue screen with the above message.

I have installation CDs but don't know what to do with them or when to put them in. The purple one says Reinstallation CD Microsoft Wondows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 2. The blue ones are from DELL and say Reinstalling V.9X (Capable)/56K Data/Fax, DELL E773c Color Monitor, Reinstalling CyberLink Power DVD 5.3 Software, and Reinstalling Sonic RecordNow 7.3 LE Software.

Please tell me how to do this. Thank you.
Sue

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You have an OEM version of Windows (because your operating system CD is a Dell CD, not a Microsoft CD).

Let's try to repair your Windows installation.
*** Be aware, repairing Windows does not cause you to lose any data or files, but you will have to reinstall other software you had installed, as well as device drivers (from the Dell Resource CD or Dell's website) and all the Windows hotfixes and updates that you've installed since you put the computer intos service.

To repair Windows, put the Dell Reinstallation CD in your CD drive and reboot the computer.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD. If you don't get this message the first time, reboot and press F12 for the boot menu when the Windows splash screen first appears.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER....

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.....

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed.
Do not select this option.....

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP......

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.....

This will repair XP and put everything back to as it first was.....

Again, you will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates. You may have to reinstall other software you had installed.

Please post back afterwards with an update.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi SueTD...

Try Recovery Console first!!!! No need to repair the entire installation for this error.

You'll need to boot to the XP installation cd (the purple one). Put the cd in the cd-rom drive and shut the machine OFF. Power the machine back on and watch the screen for the prompt "Press any key to boot from cd"...press the spacebar once.

This should take you to a "Welcome to Setup" screen...Press R to load Recovery Console"

On the next screen, select your operating system by typing the number to the left of it. In most cases, this will be 1. C:\WINDOWS...so type 1.

If you are prompted to typs a password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

This should take you to a command prompt...C:\WINDOWS>

Type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Note the space before /r. You may be told the volume is in use and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". This should start the chkdsk operation.

If the machine doesn't reboot automatically, but returns to command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". The machine should reboot...do not press a key to boot to cd...let it boot to the HDD.

This will be a very long check and may appear to start over a few times...this is normal, let it finish. 60 to 90 minutes for this check is not unusual. It should then automatically boot to Windows.

Let us know how this goes.

wannabe1

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Thanks, Wannabe1! Yes, Recovery Console first!

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
The Recovery instructions worked! Thanks so much, you all are amazing!

All my icons and programs look like they are still here but one message popped up that said "Executable files in Port Magic are corrupt please reinstall". On the top heading of the message it says "Port Magic - Corrupt Binary". Do I need to do something about that?

Sue

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have AOL installed?

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
The AOL Icon is there and when I clicked on it, it said the same thing that caused the problem the other day, that I needed to update files and clicking Okay would install them and then I would need to restart. I clicked Cancel this time.

Do I need to uninstall AOL and reinstall it? I don't think I have a CD for that but I know I have picked one up free at some store in the past so I could probaly get one if I need to.

My set up now, since I switched to Broadband only a few months ago, is Bell South but I have free AOL with it. I used to have only AOL when it was dial up. I usually sign on using AOL but today I just used the Bell South set up with Internet Explorer to check this site for messages.

Sue

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on the AOL icon...is there an option to "Exit" or "Disable"?

Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and press "Enter". Click the "Startup" tab and look for an entry in the list relating to Port Magic. If you find such a listing, remove the check from the box next to it, "Apply" the changes, and reboot.

On startup, you will receive a "Selective Startup" dialog window. This is normal, tick the box to not show it again and click "Ok".

Still get the Port Magic update request?

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I followed the instructions above but all I found was PortAOL. Since it was the only choice that had either word in it, Port or Magic, I took the check mark away from that one and restarted the computer. I don't know if that was correct but I didn't get the Port Magic message when I restarted.

When I click on the AOL icon to try to go online, I am still getting the message about needing to install files or folders or else AOL won't start. It is the same message that caused the computer to crash in the first place. I clicked Cancel.

Is that a different problem than the Port Magic or did I just not solve it correctly?

Sue

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are probably going to have to reinstall AOL to rid yourself of that error...be sure to use the latest version.

Blue screen errors of this kind can be a precursor to a HDD failure. This is not always the case, but I would recommend making backups of you important files (on cd or flash drive) and keep them current. If your HDD IS failing, having the backups will be a real lifesaver. Even if the HDD is fine, backing up is always a good idea.

Glad you're back up and running! :whistling:

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Thanks for the warning about the possible HDD failure! The last blue screen was also caused by installing something from AOL, some sort of virus protection if I remember correctly. Since that time, we have been putting photos and other projects on CD. Due to the large number of photos and artwork we have, it had been suggested to me to get an external hard drive for saving back up files. Until I get a chance to check into that, I will continue to save on CD. The kids have flash drives for school projects in progress.

It seems maybe I should try to get used to using another way to save my favorite websites, send email, etc. and stop using anything from AOL!
Sue

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yepper! If you can get away from AOL, you will be far better off. If you need a new e-mail, look into Gmail.

AOL has always been glitchy, but it seems the later versions are even more so. Being that you are able to connect without them, I would stay away from using AOL as much as possible.

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I will check out GMail. I have never heard of it! I do have a yahoo email address that I had to set up to use something else and I have a Bell South email address that I needed to make when we got DSL. I haven't really used either of them because everyone I know has always used my AOL address. Time to switch!

The only thing I miss is my list of favorites! I can't access that list when I sign on through Bell South (unless you know how?). I just found where there is a "star" on the Bell South toolbar that says favorites so it seems I can make a list on here too. I think I can go on my son's laptop. he still gets an AOL sign on screen and copy/paste all the names of the sites in an email to myself and then open it on this account. If you know an easier way I would love to hear it!

Thanks again for all the advice. This is my favorite website!
Sue

rilarilasssss

rilarilasssss

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi SueTD .. I have the exact same problem with my laptop but I don't have the installation CDs.. could you point me to the thread which you've mentioned in your first post? (the one about what to do if you get a registry file failure/blue screen but don't have the CD)

If anyone else can help, that'll be great!!

SueTD

SueTD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
The topic title I first saw was this:

Stop:C0000218[Registry File Failure], System Recovery[HP computer]

by topic starter "jot".

In a box below all the replies to my post, I see a list that I hope you can see that says "similar topics". It is the fourth one listed. If you don't see the same list I see then I think you can find it in Search by either putting in "search member name only" and put in jot or put the topic in the search subject line. That post was answered by wannabe1, the same person who helped me.

I hope this is enough info for you to find the help you need.
Sue