Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Shuts Down By itself

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...

Should boot right up to the good Windows installation.

Advertisements

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Excellent! I rebooted, and the right OS booted up. Thank you! Now, I can go eat supper.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are quite welcome. :whistling:

Enjoy your meal...

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay--you resolved the problem so well yesterday with the multiple OS in our computer, I'm wondering if you can help with another problem. When we try to boot the same system up in the morning, it locks up during the boot process, but sometimes it boots all the way and locks up then. OR, it will shut down unexpectedly with an error message. Right now, it has the blue screen of death with the following error on it. c000021a (Fatal System Error)

What do we need to do to fix this? Thank you!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This problem can be cuased by a number of things. There's a MS Update that will do this to some machines and an iTunes application update that does it to others. Running chkdsk /r from Recovery Console will sometimes resolve the issue. GoBack has also been known to cause this issue, so if you have that installed, disable it, then uninstall it and see how the machine boots.

Chkdsk=======================================

You will need to boot to the XP installation cd.

Put the cd in the cd-rom drive and shut the machine OFF. Power the machine back on and watch the screen for the prompt "Press any key to boot from cd"...press the spacebar once.

This should take you to a "Welcome to Setup" screen...Press R to load Recovery Console"

On the next screen, select your operating system by typing the number to the left of it. In most cases, this will be 1. C:\WINDOWS...so type 1.

If you are prompted to type a password, leave it blank and press "Enter".

This should take you to a command prompt...C:\WINDOWS>

Type chkdsk /r and press "Enter". Note the space before /r. You may be told the volume is in use and asked if you want to schedule this to run on the next boot...type Y and press "Enter". This should start the chkdsk operation.

If the machine doesn't reboot automatically, but returns to command prompt, type exit and press "Enter". The machine should reboot...do not press a key to boot to cd...let it boot to the HDD.

This will be a very long check and may appear to start over a few times...this is normal, let it finish. 60 to 90 minutes for this check is not unusual. It should then automatically boot to Windows.

Repair=====================================

If that doesn't resolve the problem, try this REPAIR to your installation of XP. This procedure will not damage or change your current files or settings...it will just repair or replace damaged system files. You will be asked for your Installation CD and may be asked for your product key. Follow the instructions carefully...print them out if you can. Note: This option is not always available on OEM Recovery Cd's

Once this repair has completed, you will have to download all Windows Updates again.

Edited by wannabe1, 14 December 2006 - 01:33 PM.

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Wow! Took me a while. Putting the Windows XP didn't do anything but give me a blank screen. Finally got the windows loaded, and typed in Recovery Console in search. That told me to type D:\i386\winnit32.exe /cmdcons in RUN. Got online and downloaded the recovery console from Microsoft. Now I've finally been able to go by your instructions, and it's at 55% completed so far. Whew! Hope this works! Thank you so much.

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It finished the repair, and showed the command prompt. I typed in Exit and hit enter like you said, and it rebooted just fine. I'll let it run for a while and see if it has any problems locking up. Looks good so far. :whistling:

oldtimertech

oldtimertech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The system is stablized now until I connect to the internet, and then it comes up with the blue screen of death. So, do you think it could be a Trojan virus causing the problem? :whistling:

I also disabled the ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card, as computer will not boot with it enabled. I just purchased this card brand new about 6 months ago, but for some reason there's a conflict.