Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Malfunction!

• Please log in to reply

Jwarne

Jwarne

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hello,
I bought a Compaq 2135US from ebay for roughly 400 dollars. It was in pristine condition when it arrived and had no problems to speak of. About a week ago, I was using the laptop, while watching tv, and it suddenly turned off. It didn't power-down, it just turned off. I repeatedly pressed the power button, but got no response. About two days later, I was fiddling with it and I found the battery ejection button, so I tried it thinking that maybe I jarred the battery loose. I reinserted the battery and the laptop turned on (phew!) and I began to situate myself to catch up on lost work. All the sudden, history repeated itself and I found myself mashing the power button....again, no response. So I, again, reinserted the battery and it worked....for roughly 1-4 minutes, then poof...again and again. The entire time the ac/adapter has been plugged in, but the power led is not coming on. I bought a docking station to connect to the laptop, hoping it would resolve the power issue, but no luck. I have considered the possibility that maybe I downloaded a heavily malicious virus from limewire so have considered seeing if the laptop will stay on long enough to format the harddrive. Is this plausible? What do my options sound like?

Thanks!

P.S.
I posted about this in another topic, but no response, so decided to start a stand-alone topic.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like the laptop has been dropped and the charging system is damaged. It could be the fan that cools the CPU is not working so the computer is shutting off to keep from damaging the CPU, intel processors have that feature. It also could be the power circuit is damaged and getting momentary power disconnections that will cause the computer to power down or lock up.

SRX660

Jwarne

Jwarne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
How much do you estimate this would cost to fix? If any of those were the problem and I took it to an electronic repair person, what would be a fair range of estimates? I don't want to spend more than the laptop is worth! lol.

johnthunder

johnthunder

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi there I see a lot of laptops running this kind of error.
The above post is possible correct, that the CPU may be overheating, this happens due to a build up of dust in the fan coolers, which are normally at the rear of the laptop.
The cooler may also be using a heat pad to remove the heat rather than a good quality thermal paste.
I would advise looking into these issues and also the possibilities that the DC power socket may also be loose at the rear.