Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mystery files waiting to be burned

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have an older eMachines Celeron based PC running XP home SP2 that, upon boot up, every time gives me a dialogue box that says there are files waiting to be copied to a CD. However, there are no files to be copied. When I left click the dialogue the resulting copy dialouge box has no contents. How to I clean what ever this machine is reading a files waiting to be copied?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi mlwjackson!

Take out any cd/dvd that may be in your cd/dvd-rom drive. Then go to MY COMPUTER and double-click on drive pertaining to your cd/dvd-rom drive. In the next window that opens, you should see a couple of files that look somewhat faded out. Delete these files. Your problem should now go away. :whistling:

Fenor

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I did as you suggested but as usual there are no files whatsoever listed...gray, black or otherwise.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type in %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning and click OK. In the new window that appears, delete any files listed.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 December 2006 - 08:00 PM.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thank you for you suggestion but unfortunately I found the same thing...there were no files listed 'waiting to be burned' in the new window. The window was totally empty. ???

This along with the systems refusal to shutdown with anything short of holding the power button has me about ready to endure the pain of a complete overwrite and reinstall.

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi mlwjackson. Windows won’t shutdown, give this a try

go to start > run >type in cmd then hit enter

type in shutdown -r -f -t 05 then hit enter

See if this works on files waiting to be copied to cd,
clean prefetch
Star > Run > Prefetch
Press Ctrl-A to highlight all the files
Delete them, it will ask if you are sure you
want to delete all>yes
then reboot

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Thank you for you suggestion but unfortunately I found the same thing...there were no files listed 'waiting to be burned' in the new window. The window was totally empty. ???

I suspect you dont have your folder options set to show hidden folders and files.
Double click on the CD/DVD drive's icon, you get the message about the files waiting to be burned, Just click on the Delete temporary files option anyway.

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I thought I had checked that my settings were to show hidden files and folders. Apparently I had not. That was the problem. There were dozens of files listed.

Regarding will not power down the run entry "shutdown -r -f -t 05" blanked the screen but left the mouse cursor functonal and did not power down the machine. When shutdown is clicked the screen goes straight to the blue windows screen. It does not go through the screen that says 'saving settings' the 'windows is shutting down'. It goes straight to the terminal screen but does not actually shutdown. I have even left it on overnight to see if it was just incredibly slow and it still did not shutdown.

Another thing I have noticed is that it does not run scandisk when I restart it after shutdown by holding the power button. All my other PC run scandisk after a shutdown like that.

Does that give you any ideas as to the source of the problem