Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp help

• Please log in to reply

Seari

Seari

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Help My new laptop decided Windows shouldnt open how do I fix this? :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
How do you mean "Windows shouldn't open"? Need more details.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks to go.

To help us we like the explanations people give us to be descriptive, this way we can diagnose the problem much faster and with less questions. Can you please explain this in more detail?

Seari

Seari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Lap top is a HP Pavillion dv6113 when I turn laptop on I get a black screen that says We apollogize for the inconvienence buit Windows was unable to start... then gives me the options to start in safe mode Start at a previously good setting or something like that or start windows as normal have tried all and still wont start :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

Seari

Seari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When I click on Safe mode with cmd prompt my screen fills with
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)windows\system32........
no where for me to get to the restore utility

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It should run a lot of lines then stop at a command prompt, did you give it a couple of minutes

Seari

Seari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes after the lines stop the pc restarts

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is the keyboard alright, no stuck keys?

Did you get an XP CD or recovery CD

Seari

Seari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Keys are fine ....Have only had the Pc for less than a month.....I made 3 discs of recovery when I got the Pc ...If I use these will I lose everything on my Pc? Pictures ect?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It will depend on having a non destructive recovery option. The vendor or manufacturer would be able to tell you this

Seari

Seari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you ....suppose I will have to take it in for service ....this is beyond me .....I am PC challenged . But TY for trying to help everyone

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With it being only a month old, you should let them deal with it as it could be an indicator of a number of errors

Check the position for retaining your data