Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

laptop suggestions?

• Please log in to reply

tankertons20

tankertons20

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, my wife and I have been intrested in purchasing two laptops. We have never owned them before. And everyone here always seems to be so helpful. I was wondering what anyone knows bout Sony, Hp, Compaq, Toshiba, or Dell? Does anyone know if these are still reliable machines? What specs should we look for when purchasing? I'm really big into my music. My wife however spends a good bit of time with data processing. I will kick back now, and let you all take a second to respond. Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Well I dont use laptops. But at work there are a bunch. We just purchased Lenovo which are eh, decent. We have always had really good luck with Sony Vaio, those run nice. We also have a IBM Thinkpad which was really nice. I have heard decent things about Dell.

So brand names now adays are warranties and service contracts. The insides of mose machines are all the same.

Depending on your budget I would go with an Intel Dual Core Processor, especially with games and music, I really noticed a BIG difference.

From there it just has to be built around your needs, also now, most new computers will come with a free upgrade to Vista, so if you are interested in upgrading after the new year, definitely want 1GB RAM decent video card, and a 2 Ghz + single core. A 1.6 Ghz Dual Core would be more than enough. It is all personal preference.

Getting back on track, I purchase alot of computers for work and now its all about who has the better warranty and service, the insides, all the same.

My personal prefrence is Intel Dual Core or AMD dual core processor, 1GB+ RAM, 80GB+ 7200RPM SATA drive.

Good Luck!

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. I actually just got these results courtesy of Consumer Reports in the mail. Here's what they say about laptops...

Best to worst:

(1) Sony
(2) Lenovo
(3) Compaq
(4) Dell
(5) Toshiba
(6) Gateway
(7) HP

(For laptops only)

Support:

(1) Lenovo (IBM)
(2) Toshiba
(3) Dell
(4) Gateway
(5) HP
(6) Sony
(7) Compaq

Now, I would say to go Lenovo. They have the best rated support, and they make solid products. IBM actually branched out to home users by making Lenovo. I would suggest them the highest.

(Edited for addition of details)

Edited by Stormknight6, 14 December 2006 - 12:16 PM.

tankertons20

tankertons20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
wow thanks so much. i will take this information into great consideration. i didnt know lenevo was part of ibm either. i will also take into consideration the warranties. i heard most hard drives and motherboards have their own warranties. pending on the company 3-5 years. :whistling:

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Sony are infact very bad laptops for the price, for the same spec laptop of a cheaper manufacturer you could get it for so much less.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sony are pretty overpriced new and not anything special on the hardware front, they get cheap really fast for the reason so you might pick up something older but decent.

The only companies that really excel in hardware consistently are Lenovo and Acer they are pretty much the biggest player in quality laptops along with dell but there are so many smaller companies now making custom laptops and base model rebrands.

Lenovo isnt a division of IBM it was the IBM laptop division rebranded and sold to a chinese company.

Parts only usually have separate warranties when bought retail when you build a PC laptops and purchased systems usually dont have individual parts warranties and are covered under the whole system warranty from the builder.

The lenovos are business computers great very sturdy high quality computers but usually lack decent gfx and hard drive space as its usually assumed you'll be working from a network storage site.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Very true. They used to be very good, but the other companies are doing better. I suggest Lenovo to anyone in the market.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have an acer at the moment, for thier spec's the prices just can't be beaten. Now that my laptop isn't used much I have put windows 2003 server on it and left it at a datacentre in England, London. It was built with a desktop processor (as a desktop replacement pc) so its pretty good I suppose, but the battery life is crap, though when its a desktop replacement (which most of acers are) what do you expect?

I bought this laptop 3 years ago now and it's got:

Intel Celeron D 330 2.67GHz
512MB RAM (Upgraded from 256)
ATi Radeon 9100IGP (Can just about scrape CSS on low detail)
40GB HDD

It's a pretty quick machine even now, even though it is a celeron the speed is suprising. Currently I'm just running a few server bits on it, like FTPd, HTTPd and a small css server.

Edited by SuperSam, 14 December 2006 - 05:38 PM.

Ozzyb

Ozzyb

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My budget was a £1200 and there was plenty of choice of machines.

Bought myself a

Toshiba

It’s my first proper laptop and a desktop replacement.

So far Im made up with it.
I would recommend this laptop or at least this range.