Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Distorted sound

• Please log in to reply

kjarkas

kjarkas

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Last night my music on both iTunes and Windows Media Player started sounding distorted with no treble, almost like what happens when speakers are turned up full blast, which I never did whatsoever. This sounds the same on headphones as well. I have no explanation for how this happened since I figured this kind of distortion would only happen as a result of maxing the volume on the speakers, which as I've said, I never did. Here are the specs:

Dell Inspiron 600m
Windows XP with Service Pack 2 and the latest upgrades
Sigma Tel Audio software
Intel Pentium M Processor 1500MHz
598MHz, 256MB of RAM

I posted this here because I think this is a hardware issue. I might have to replace something on this computer, but since so much is hard-wired onto the motherboard, I want to make sure I don't have to replace the motherboard all together. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

kjarkas

kjarkas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Never mind. It reverted back to sounding normal somehow. I ran PC-Cillin and Adaware and I suspect one of them fixed this problem, so it was probably spyware to begin with. (????)