Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop is malfunctioning and won't allow itself to be reformated

• Please log in to reply

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes, he did a system restore when the problems first started. Still had the problems even after trying numerous restores.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
press start > run > type "chkdsk /f /r" without quotes it will probably tell you that it can't do this untill the next reboot...tell it ok and restart the computer...let this run untill completion (about 45 min or so) and report back the results if any

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
ChKDSK is 80% way through Step 4

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
computer rebooted after finishing the scan and froze after showing the same message at start up as before. I was not standing over it when it finished, so I don't know if it showed any errors. I'm going to try it again and see what happens.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
does the laptop have a floppy? or just a cd drive?

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Only a CD, but i do have a thumb drive and an external drive

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
go to Memtest86.comand download this
burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
once you boot to the cd, run the memtest for at least 2 hours and post the results

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I downloaded the CDBurner program, but the directions page doesn't see to reflect the current program :whistling:

Under File, there are three options, "save Image as ISO"
Write Disc from ISO
Convert ISO

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
write disc from iso is the one you want...i'm going to need to update my instructions

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
When I went back to the computer to close it out and install the CD to boot from, there was a message that Windows had recovered from a severe error. I sent a report and it came back with No Solution, that it was a device driver error.

Are we getting closer to the root of the problem?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
maybe? hehe...FIRST

In safe mode:

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose PROPERTIES, choose ADVANCED, choose the SETTINGS button in the Startup And RECOVERY section, and uncheck AUTOMATICALLY RESTART

Now reboot. This should result in the BSOD error...report the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

then put that disk you made in the computer and reboot it...boot to the disk and run the test like i said before...report the results of the test...then restart again...but take the cd out before it boots to it (or at least don't press any key when it asks you to ) tell me what happens when you boot up?

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
when safe mode started, after three reboots, the "found new hardware" wizard started stated that it had "found PCMCIA-0002. This is the first time this message has popped up, but the IEEE 1394 wizard has shown up prior to this.

Auto restart is off and rebooting

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have tried rebooting it 4 times now. It gets to the "the computer has stopped responding" screen and then goes to an XP where it looks like a ghost image and freezes

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where you able to run the memtest?

kaybece56

kaybece56

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Yes, but I stopped it when you asked me to turn of the Automatic restart and reboot. After at least ten times, reboot has been a no go.