Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hacking my email

• Please log in to reply

COGirl

COGirl

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Someone is hacking into my email.. I know they don't have
my password, and I know my ex installed some kind of
program... Any suggestions on how to find out what is
installed, and how to stop it??

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
What makes you certain that someone else is reading your email? Are you sure your password is secure? Does your ex have physical access to your computer? When you go to Add/Remove programs in the Control Panel, is there anything listed there that you don't recognize? Do you used web based email or do you use an ISP/ Outlook Express set up? Do you use a log in password for your account on the XP Welcome Screen? We can probably help you figure it out, or put your mind at ease, but we need to know more details.
Johanna

COGirl

COGirl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I know there was X-Ways Trace installed... I uninstalled it (i think)...
Just from things "he" knows from things found only in my email...
Not just things I've received, but things I've sent. I'm 99% certain
that he doesn't have my password... I use Outlook Express on my
home computer, rarely use the web to access it, and have changed
my ISP password and OLE password several times..... I use an
XP logon password also...

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
X Ways Trace doesn't claim to access email. Does this person have access to your computer?

Look on the back of the tower. Are there any hardware items in between the case and the ethernet cable? Anything that looks like an adapter but isn't needed? Some require a key to remove. See anything like that?

Go into Admin Services and disable everything that says "remote assistance". Call your ISP and change the email password (the one Outlook Express uses to get mail from your mailserver) You are running a firewall, correct? Is your computer part of a network or on a router? Do you know how to lock it down? Does ex have a laptop?

Trying to help,

Johanna