Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows gets stuck at loading screen

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
i was runnin win xp pro [without any updates] n i recently got myself a copy of win xp pro sp2. today i tried upgrading to it and all was going fine until it finished the second-last step which was Installing Windows, after which it wud be Finishing Installation [or something like that]. now it restarted after the second-last step and after the restart the windows xp loading screen appeared. after going thru a few times the blocks stopped near the beginning of the bar, and that was it. it didnt progress even a bit after that. my hdd activity light also goes off at that point. then i manually restarted the pc and it came up to a screen where it showed the Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode, Start Windows Normally etc choices. first i chose Start Windows Normally but it got stuck again at the loading screen, just like it had happened earlier. so i manually restarted again but this time i chose Last Known Good Configuration but to no avail. it just got stuck again. I restarted once more and this time chose Safe Mode. the pc booted and all was ok, just that i was in safe mode so i couldnt do much. i checked around and it seems that all was installed correctly, cuz the upgradin etc is all complete and fine. but i dont understand what the problem is that causes it to get stuck on the loadin screen so i couldnt of a cure too. :)
Plz help me really quick as the pc messed up is my work pc and some really important stuff is coming up...
plz get me out of this mess. :whistling: :rofl: :blink: :help:
thanks

Advertisements

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
oh and 1 more thing: i had set a restore point jus before starting the upgrade and when i was in safe mode i even tried restoring to it but the System Restore Utility says that no point was set

don geddit

:whistling: :blink:

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi badben25,

while in safe mode go to start /run /open =msconfig. Click on the Boot.ini tab there should be the boot.ini .

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect microsoft windows xp professional"" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

This is a modified one I've used on several systems that wouldn't boot using the original boot.ini. You can edit the boot.ini from msconfig.

Alternative:
Since you have an install cd you can try Booting it and enter Recovery Console by following the prompts. Once in RC log in as administrator. Type in BOOTCFG /REBUILD and press Enter, follow the prompt and type Y and press Enter. then type FIXBOOT and press Enter. fllow the prompt and type Y and press Enter. Type QUIT and reboot the PC,

Edited by silverbeard, 14 December 2006 - 12:10 PM.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
thanks pal, i'll try it out and let u know what happens...

hope this saves my [bleep] :whistling:

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i tried the boot.ini method but all i can edit in msconfig is Timeout. so i was sitting confused when suddenly my brain clicked and i did this: right-click My Computer, select Properties, select the Advanced tab, click on Settings under Startup & Recovery then chose the edit the file manually option. here i made sure the content was similar to urs and amended as necessary. but after the reboot, the loading bar would go a few times and then the bars would get stuck at the end of the loading bar. then i went back into safe mode and reversed all the changes i had made, and then i tried using the Recovery Console. but now windows setup wouldnt show me the choice of the RC but instead after loading the files it showed a screen where all my partitions appeared and asked where i wanted to setup windows xp. so now i tried installing RC and it now appears during startup. here i selected it and after it started i selected the windows installation by pressing 1 (it was the only one that appeared) and then pressing enter. after this it asked the admin password, which i typed and pressed enter. then it gives me the C:\WINDOWS> prompt. i typed BOOTCFG /REBUILD. it starts scanning for installations and then finds the installation i have and asks "Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All)". i press Y and the enter. then it asks me "Enter Load Identifier", which i thought is the name, so i typed "Windows XP Professional" and pressed enter. then it asked "Enter OS Load Options", which i think is the command(s) that i want...but anyways i pressed enter without typing anything, and then the C:/WINDOWS> prompt came up again. here i typed FIXBOOT and pressed enter and then it said:
The target partition is C:.
Are you sure you want to write a new boot sector to the partition C:?
i pressed Y and then enter, after which it said "FIXBOOT is writing a new boot sector." and "The new bootsector was successfully written." and then the C:/WINDOWS> prompt came up. i typed QUIT but it wouldnt work so i typed EXIT and my pc rebooted after a moment or 2. now i had a new choice (the one that i made) and i selected it but the same happened: it was stuck at the loading screen.

now i dont know what should be done next so i thought it was better to post rather than do something yourself and totally mess it up.
plz reply soon :whistling: :help: :blink: