Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DHCP problem

• Please log in to reply

muzikizum

muzikizum

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi

On start up my laptop connects to my wireless adapter.
Although the DHCP from my adsl router is not issuing me with my ip adress etc.

However when i hit repair it resets and works most of the time although sometimes it still doesn't give my ip.

Start up

Posted Image

After hitting repair

Posted Image

Anyone help, i don't want to be hitting repair everytime i want to connect to the internet.
It is some problem with DHCP i think.

Thanks
Muzikizum

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so your wireless adapter is set to automatically connect at startup? try shutting the wireless down (turn off the radio) before shutting down the pc...then when you restart...let all the windows startup stuff get done...then turn your radio back on....does it connect more reliably? (i.e. on the first try?)

muzikizum

muzikizum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Tried switching of the radio on shutdown and switching on after restart.
It worked for a while {i did this maybe 3 or 4 times over half an hour} and it worked.

Although when left for a greater length of time it gave me ip adress:

10.0.0.5 which is not correct. Again once i hit repair it gives me 192.168.1.2

I have checked my router settings and they seem fine.
I'm wondering is windows issuing me with this number 10.0.0.5 aftter it fails to connect to my router.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I'm wondering is windows issuing me with this number 10.0.0.5 aftter it fails to connect to my router.

it is..that's one of the many autoconfiguration ip's....now the question is....why is it not getting the ip from the router?

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Sounds like some type of weird interference issue (or at least, that's the easiest to troubleshoot). Try accessing the router's web config from a wired PC and changing the channel? 1, 6, and 11 work the best.