Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Back up

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I have used the windows back up before. But, I have never had to restore from it before. I guess I have had good luck so far (knock on wood).

So heres the deal, I had bought a Dell and it came with a lot of software that I don't want. But I didn't have the back up utility until just a few days ago (wasn't installed). So I had alot of stuff that I wanted to save first. Now I have the utility and have made a back up (on another hard drive) of my Docs. and settings. I want to reinstall just windows without all the Dell crap. But I would like to know if my network setting will be restore after I reinstall windows and restore my back up?

Also is there anything else I should make sure of before I reinstall windows?

I have a TON of Music, Pics and Docs. that I don't want to loss.

I know I could just remove the the stuff I don't want. I just would like to start clean with only what I install.

:whistling:

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
First, be sure that anything you want to keep is located under Docs and Settings, if that's the only folder you're backing up. Since you're backing up to another hard drive, if you have the time and the space, back up your entire hard drive.

Also, locate the Dell Resource CD that contains the drivers, because you will need to reinstall those. If you don't have the resouce CD, you'll need to download the drivers from support.dell.com.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Since you're backing up to another hard drive, if you have the time and the space, back up your entire hard drive.

I do have the room to back up the entire drive. But if I back it up that way will I get to pick and choose what I want if I'm using the back up utility? Or will I have to copy the drive? If so how do I do that?

If you don't have the resouce CD, you'll need to download the drivers from support.dell.com.

Could I download those after the reinstall? Or should I do it before and save them to a disk?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

Since you're backing up to another hard drive, if you have the time and the space, back up your entire hard drive.

I do have the room to back up the entire drive. But if I back it up that way will I get to pick and choose what I want if I'm using the back up utility? Or will I have to copy the drive? If so how do I do that?

How are you backing up the data? What software are you using? Most backup software has the options of restoring individual folders or files.

If you don't have the resouce CD, you'll need to download the drivers from support.dell.com.

Could I download those after the reinstall? Or should I do it before and save them to a disk?

Yes, you could wait and pull them off the web, but be sure you have the driver for the NIC on hand. Otherwise you'll have trouble getting to the web.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

How are you backing up the data? What software are you using? Most backup software has the options of restoring individual folders or files.

I was just going to use the Windows Backup utility for this. Do you know of any others like Ghost that are free and work?
I had Ghost for awhile and it worked but it was only a 90 day trail so I got rid of it. I didn't want to pay 70 buck for something I might never use.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, Windows Backup gives you the option of selecting specific folders and files to restore. I'm attaching a screen shot of it.

I don't know of any freeware backup utilties. Maybe someone does??

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Just so I'm clear on this before I do it.

When I back up I should pick "All Information on this computer" and this will back up the entire drive using the Windows Backup utility?

Then when I go to restore the files I want I'll be able to pick and choose which ones. Correct?

If this is correct then I only have a couple more questions.

1. Will I be able to restore Programs? Or will I need to reinstall them by way of disk or downloads?

2. Can I reinstall the drivers from the back up? Or will I need to get them from Dell?

BTW Thanks for taking the time to help... :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

When I back up I should pick "All Information on this computer" and this will back up the entire drive using the Windows Backup utility?

Then when I go to restore the files I want I'll be able to pick and choose which ones. Correct?

Yes, choosing "All Information" will backup everything, including system state/registry. And the restore function will give you the option of picking the files/folders to restore (see post #6). I had suggested you backup the entire hard drive to be sure you got all the files and documents you might need, in the event some things were saved outside your Docs and Settings folder.

1. Will I be able to restore Programs? Or will I need to reinstall them by way of disk or downloads?

I want to reinstall just windows without all the Dell crap.

This question negates your stated objective from post #1. I wouldn't recommend trying to restore a single program with Windows Backup, because you'd have to restore the registry (full of entries from everything you had on the computer before you reinstalled Windows), plus the program file folder for that specific program and any other folder it uses, plus any dll files it installed into the Windows directory. To do that, you'd need something like Aloha Bob PC Relocator, but I haven't found it to be all that reliable.

2. Can I reinstall the drivers from the back up? Or will I need to get them from Dell?

I don't know of a way to restore device drivers. Your best bet is to install them from CD or download.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Okay thanks for all the help. I will start the back up tonight and reinstall windows this weekend. If I have any problems I'll post back.
again thanks
:whistling:

This question negates your stated objective from post #1

I have a couple of programs which I no longer have the disk for. That is why I asked. They are not all that important to me. So I'll tell them good bye.

Edited by duley3, 15 December 2006 - 11:48 AM.

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
Well now I have a new problem.

When I select "All Information on this computer" and click next I choose to save to my other hard drive. I get an error Posted Image

This is the report which doesn't tell much

Backup Status
Operation: Backup
Active backup destination: File
Media name: "Backup.bkf created 12/15/2006 at 5:00 PM"

Backup Status
The files for the recovery diskette could not be created. The operation was aborted.

----------------------

The operation did not successfully complete.

----------------------

Any ideas?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
LindaGail, i hope you don't mind me butting in here.

Duley3, if you have a second hard drive in the computer, or even if it is an external USB hard drive, why are you using backup software to archive your data? There is no need to use a backup program when you can just copy and paste all files and even the folders they are in thru EXPLORER.

If you are planning to use the new hard drive as the MAIN drive, just make the original HD as slave to the new drive.

If you are leaving the old hard drive as the main drive, and after transferring all data to the new drive you should be able to use the Dell recovery CD to restore XP back to the drive. If you are not using a Dell recovery CD you really need a windows XP cd to install the operating system.

It sounds like the startup floppy disk was not made. Does this computer even have a floppy drive?

http://www.microsoft...t_03july14.mspx

SRX660

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

LindaGail, i hope you don't mind me butting in here.

Duley3, if you have a second hard drive in the computer, or even if it is an external USB hard drive, why are you using backup software to archive your data? There is no need to use a backup program when you can just copy and paste all files and even the folders they are in thru EXPLORER.

If you are planning to use the new hard drive as the MAIN drive, just make the original HD as slave to the new drive.

If you are leaving the old hard drive as the main drive, and after transferring all data to the new drive you should be able to use the Dell recovery CD to restore XP back to the drive. If you are not using a Dell recovery CD you really need a windows XP cd to install the operating system.

It sounds like the startup floppy disk was not made. Does this computer even have a floppy drive?

http://www.microsoft...t_03july14.mspx

SRX660

I thought I could do it by way of Copy and Paste . But I wasn't real sure about if it would work like that.

So If I open my explorer I can right click my C drive and click copy, then paste to my second drive ( G )? This will copy ALL of the data on the main drive to my second drive?

Edited by duley3, 15 December 2006 - 04:53 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

So If I open my explorer I can right click my C drive and click copy, then paste to my second drive ( G )? This will copy ALL of the data on the main drive to my second drive?

Yes, that should work. Be aware that the process will take a long time, depending on how much data it has to copy/paste.

SRX660 (or anyone else reading this), do you know what the time difference might be between doing a Windows Backup job and copy/paste job?

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Be aware that the process will take a long time, depending on how much data it has to copy/paste.

I only have about 20gigs right now... I have started the copy and will time it just to see. I trust all the staff so I'm off to copy land.

Edited by duley3, 15 December 2006 - 05:12 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
One thing copy and paste does not do is copy hidden files and files that are in use. Copy and Paste is good when you are trying to backup data only, not system files.

I have used windows backup and find it to be quite lacking. To some it may be fine for data backup as you can program it to backup while you are not on the computer. I prefer to watch as i backup so it does take me some time. Even if it takes me a 8 hour day to backup my data i think it is worth the time rather than trying to find the data all over again. I already backup quite a lot of data weekly so i am used to doing a short half hour of backing up weekly.I can usually transfer data at the same speeds for burning cd's, say about 7-10 minutes for 700 MB's. Yes 20 gigs may take up to 5 hours as i like to transfer only around a gig at a time, so there is time taken to set things up.

I have ben using Norton ghost to make system recovery cd's. Recently Keith told me about a free Paragon Drive Copy 8 program and i downloaded it and tried it. I copied the whole6.2 gig XP install that was on a 20 Gig Hd to a 160 Gig HD. I had no problems doing this and am using the computer right now to backup 48 gigs of MP3's to DVD's.

It really sounds like Duley3 does not want to do this as he wants to get rid of some dell junk. I am assuming he is using a regular windows XP CD instead of the dell recovery CD. If you are using a XP cd, Duley3, you will need to download some drivers from the dell website. These drivers are for the on-board hardware in the motherboard.

SRX660