Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Back up

• Please log in to reply

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

windows XP CD instead of the dell recovery CD

The disk I have states on it that it is a reinstall disk of windows only. So I hope it is what I want. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Even If it not I won't be out anything. I'll Just still have all the crap from Dell. Then I'll be back here again for help of COMPLETELY removing all the dell software. :whistling:

Man, I really like this site very useful. Soon I'll be able to help others (I hope)... :blink:

Advertisements

duley3

duley3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
I'm Back.....

Well I guess this is not going to work either. I keep getting different error about files and programs being used by the system or another user.. :blink: I'm the only user so it has to be the system..

Should I just copy my docs? I don't think I have anything save anywhere else. Or maybe I should copy everything but the windows folder. Will this work?

Or maybe someone has done it this way and knows what need to be do. :whistling:

I'll check back in the morning.. Thanks for all the help.

Edited by duley3, 15 December 2006 - 07:05 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

Well I guess this is not going to work either. I keep getting different error about files and programs being used by the system or another user.. :whistling: I'm the only user so it has to be the system..

Should I just copy my docs? I don't think I have anything save anywhere else. Or maybe I should copy everything but the windows folder. Will this work?

Don't try to copy the Windows folder. As I understand your situtation from post #1, you're mainly concerned with keeping personal files, music, etc. If you're sure you have nothing saved anywhere else, copying the Docs and Settings folder would be sufficient. I had suggested a full backup fo your hard drive to cover the possibility that you might have something vital elsewhere. For example, on my computer at home, our accounting database lives in the Program Files folder. (I'm going to change it!)

windows XP CD instead of the dell recovery CD

The disk I have states on it that it is a reinstall disk of windows only. So I hope it is what I want. I guess I'll find out soon enough. Even If it not I won't be out anything. I'll Just still have all the crap from Dell. Then I'll be back here again for help of COMPLETELY removing all the dell software. :blink:

Every Dell system comes with the Windows reinstallation CD AND a Resource CD for installing additional software. This Resource CD contains the drivers for that particular system. If you don't have a Resource CD, then you will have to rely on pulling all drivers off Dell's website. I'd recommend downloading them all before you reinstall Windows. Go to support.dell.com, choose "Drivers & Downloads". On the next page, enter your service tag OR Product Type and Model. You'll be presented with a page of all the drivers available for the components on that particular model. Open Device Manager and go down the list of components, to be sure you don't miss anything.