Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up error

• Please log in to reply

johnscott

johnscott

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi
It's not a big deal but in the last week or so when I start up the computer I get the following
message,I click ok and it starts up fine. Im just wondering why as I have not changed
anything.

The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located in the dynamic
link library PSAPI.DLL
Thanks for any help

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What did you do on the computer just before the error started? Did you install any software or hardware?

Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Youve installed IE7 havent you!?

After installing IE7 you may get an error message that says something like:

The procedure entry point 'GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be allocated in the dynamic link library PSAPI.dll'

This is an error to do with some "broadband helper" software your ISP has installed on your computer and is easy to fix:

To work around this error:

Navigate to the installation location for SmartBridge which should be something like:

Program Files\BT Broadband Desktop Help\SmartBridge

Now find the file PSAPI.DLL and rename it to something like PSAPIOLD.DLL

Now reboot the computer.

The program will find the new PSAPI.DLL in the C:\Windows\System32 directory and function normally...

Please Note: You will need to substitute "BT Broadband Help" for the name of your own ISP
==

And/or if your using NTL uninstall the BroadBand Medic software. Its not necessary anyway.

johnscott

johnscott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi
Yes I did install IE7. Did what you said everything now ok. Thank you both for your time.