Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP PLS! Folders Deleting Before My Eyes. :(

• Please log in to reply

Jerrry Maguire

Jerrry Maguire

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Please excuse my lack of technical jargon!

So here's the deal. After looking around my external hard drive earlier, I got into a folder and noticed at least 2/3 of the sub-folders were missing. I checked around the other areas of the drive and nothing else had been affected.

For some reason the files have vanished into thin air!

When I click into the main folder (with the sub-folders missing) it runs slower than normal. After all this, I had been looking around the remaining sub folders and deleting some files whereupon I tried to press the back button to the main folder directory and what was left of the sub-folders had ALL dissapeared now.

I don't know where they have gone and am afraid of this happening to other files on my external HD like my catalogue of digital photos from 2003-present day!!!

I haven't done anything irregular, this seems to have happened without warning.

The space left on my external HD has not changed although the folder says it is empty and is '0 bytes' when it was originally approx 5 gigs so perhaps it has to be somewhere?!

I tried searching for sub folder names but no luck.

Thankyou for ANY help!!!!!

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, welcome to geekstogo
a few questions first:
- do you get the same result if you connect that external harddrive to another computer
- have you been running malware removal scans on a computer where this harddrive was attached

Jerrry Maguire

Jerrry Maguire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello!

Unfortunately I do not have another PC to attach the external HD to.. The external HD is currently the slave (right term?) HD on my home PC.

I run Avast Antivirus and do regular spyware and ad-aware checks. I use Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE, Spybot Search & Destroy and Spywareblaster. I also run Mozilla Firefox not IE so the system is generally pretty clean.

P.s.
Geneve, c'est un ville tres beau! :whistling:

Edited by Jerrry Maguire, 14 December 2006 - 05:32 PM.

Jerrry Maguire

Jerrry Maguire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried deleting the folder just now and got the following error message :

"Cannot delete 'folder name' : The directory is not empty"

Any leads with that information?

A link I found with someone who had the same problem however the answer given on the website doesn't seem to be helping me...

Jerrry Maguire

Jerrry Maguire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
For people (like myself) who respond better to visuals :

Posted Image

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, slaving a drive inside the computer means that it is intenal not external meaning that you would either have to slave it in another computer or buy an external harddrive caddie to use elsewhere.

the reason why I ask about malware is because there are quite a lot of data reconvery tools out there but some malware tools are very good at removing suspect files, for example use tune up undelete from file recovery and destruction
http://www.tune-up.com
(use the 30 trial version later uninstall it)

Jerrry Maguire

Jerrry Maguire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

hi, slaving a drive inside the computer means that it is intenal not external meaning that you would either have to slave it in another computer or buy an external harddrive caddie to use elsewhere.

Re-reading what I initially wrote, I explained it wrong!
Yes it is an internal HD but it is a slave HD not the master HD.

I will try the tune up and see how I get on. Is the program free of ad-aware, spyware etc. ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try logging into the Safe Mode Administrator account...are the files visible form there? Make sure you have the Folder View set to show hidden files and folders.

Jerrry Maguire

Jerrry Maguire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Still no luck, it also wouldn't let me delete the folder when in safe mode, same error message.
I found this program worth a shot?

Update*
Tried the program didn't work.

Edited by Jerrry Maguire, 15 December 2006 - 09:34 PM.

Jerrry Maguire

Jerrry Maguire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I also used the tune up program, no joy there either. :whistling: