Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System built and serviced by?

• Please log in to reply

RjBass

RjBass

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Ok so I have come to find myself building allot of systems for personal use and business's. I have noticed that on machines made by Dell, Gateway and even some local places in my town that if you click on computer properties, it will tell you who made the machine and have their logo or something.

How do I do that for the systems I build for customers?

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Most of the big companies edit the XP install file, I read up about it before but I've completely forgotten where. I'll look around for you - it would be interesting for me to do as I fix and build computers locally for people.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Changing the OEM info in the System Properties window
In the System Properties window, computer manufacturers often insert their logo, company name and the model name or number. This information can be changed or removed.

To change the manufacturer, model and URL information in the System Properties window:

* Locate OEMINFO.INI in the \Windows\System32 directory, and open in Notepad or a similar text editor.
* The contents should look something like this:

[General]

Manufacturer=Sanx Computers Inc.
Model=SANX1
SupportURL=http://www.sanx.org

Other sections may exist, and these vary from machine to machine. Any additional sections should be retained intact.
* Change the Manufacturer, Model and SupportURL values to suit your requirements.
* Save the file, and exit.

To change the OEM logo:

* Locate OEMLOGO.BMP in the \Windows\System32 directory, and open in a graphics application. If the file does not exist, create a file no bigger than 200 pixels square.
* Create or change the image to your requirements.
* Save the file, and exit.

Open the System Properties window. the changes will take effect immediately.

-------------------------------------------------

Upon looking for oeminfo.ini in my system 32 folder i could not find any, so i went looking for a better answer. I think this is the better answer.

http://www.windows-h...rties-logo.html

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 14 December 2006 - 08:26 PM.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
well i tried that upon reading your reply and couldn't get it to work. I have both the files in the proper place but it hasn't changed.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am still researching this. I have tried doing this and when i right click on my computer/properties the name of my company and model i typed in has come up on the system properties window. Looking further i went to control panel/ computer management and when i right click computer management, then properties, under the support information button all the info i typed in does come up. I did have to make a oeminfo.ini file and have not tried a logo yet.

So now i am looking for another ini file somewhere in the system 32 folder to find out where the original info in the system properties window is coming from.

SRX660

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I just realised that I tried it with a machine loaded with XP upgrade. That being the case I'll bet the OEM info can't be changed. I'll bet it can only be done with OEM software loaded.

Edited by RjBass, 15 December 2006 - 09:07 AM.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Yup, I was right. I just tried it on a Dell machine with standard Dell OEM software and it worked just fine. Its actually very easy to do.

So ya, it will only work with OEM software and not XP or Vista upgrade software.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Yup, I was right. I just tried it on a Dell machine with standard Dell OEM software and it worked just fine. Its actually very easy to do.

So ya, it will only work with OEM software and not XP or Vista upgrade software.

This branding method works with all versions of 95, 98, ME, 2000 and Windows XP, be it Home, Pro, OEM or Upgrade. It also works on Media Center. It is not unique to OEM software.

If you have issues, add this to the oeminfo.ini file and it should then work:

[Support Information]
Line1=" "

StaticRed

StaticRed

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
tried it myself and it works fine.. thanks for the info cool to know how to do this,
just tried it on my laptop 2. it works great tho the logo wouldn't show until i put the OEMINFO.INI in. but now it works :whistling:

Edited by StaticRed, 15 December 2006 - 07:21 PM.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Well then its weird then. Cuz I can't get it to work on several machines I have here at the shop. I got it to work on one Dell machine only.

I tried it on a custom build with XP OEM and it won't show. Neither the .ini or the .bmp show.

Their must be something else to this that I am just not getting.

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I just noticed several other OEM files in my system32 folder that I don't beleive are in the other machines. these files are:

OEMBIOS.DAT
OEMBIOS.SIG
OEMBIOS.BIN
OEMBKGN1.BMP
OEMINFO.PNF

Should I maybe copy those onto a flash drive and copy them over to the other pc's where I can't get the info to show?

RjBass

RjBass

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Well apparently one of those files, if not all of them are just as important to have. I copied the OEMBIOS.SIG, OEMBKGN1.BMP, and OEMINFO.PNF over to one of the machines with Windows XP Upgrade on it and it worked.