Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Protected files...

• Please log in to reply

mes181

mes181

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here is what is going on...

My laptop is having problems and won't power on. In order to back up my files before sending it in, I went and purchased a 2.5" USB 2.0 Hard Drive Enclosure Kit, so I could back up my files.

The problem I am encountering now, is that the documents I want to back up on the laptop hard drive are protected. When I try to access them, I get the message user does not have access privilagies, because the user account under which they were stored was password protected. I know my password, but it doesn't give me a chance to enter it anywhere...

How can I get around this problem?
Any help would be tremendous...

Thanks,
Mark

Edited by mes181, 14 December 2006 - 06:15 PM.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Look at these two MS articles about changing permissions:
On a domain: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418
Not on a domain: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308419

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
My apologies - both of those article assume the computer is on a domain.

Is your computer on a domain, by chance?

mes181

mes181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I followed both links, and I still can not find the tab that says security....? How can I be missing it? The hard drive I am trying to access is NFTS, by the way...

Thanks for your help...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Right - then that means those articles don't apply to you, as they're for computers on a domain. I'm still looking...

mes181

mes181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
For the life of me I can not find a security tab. I can assure you I am not an idiot. I do know that the hard drive I am trying to access these files on is formated NTFS. The options given when right clicking on anything on the hard drive are:

General, Sharing, or custimized, on the folders.

I just want to get my old pictures and word documents off of the hard drive... how could this be so hard?

Thanks again for all your help...

-Mark

mes181

mes181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, thanks, I thought my first reply didn't go through...

I had gotten files off an old hard drive before, but I never use to use passwork\d protected profiles... mabye that was a mistake...?

mes181

mes181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Is there any chance that starting the computer in safe mode would do any good?

I know that has worked in some instances from what I have read online... but the file is protected from the hard drive itself (the non-operating system of windows), not the windows operating system currently on the computer that I am using right now...

Just a thought...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I just found the Security tab solution. With Windows XP (not on a domain), do this to make the Security tab visible:

Open My Computer
Tools menu
Folder Options
View tab
Advanced Settings list, scroll to the bottom and uncheck User Simple File Sharing

Now, when you right click a folder, choose Sharing and Security, you should see a Security tab. Follow the instructions from the MS article in post #2.

mes181

mes181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I followed your instructions...

At the bottom of the list, I couldn't find the option to uncheck User Simple File Sharing....

It was not listed... I am sure it wasn't there... Is that possible.

I also tried going into safe mode. In safe mode it did show the security tab. I tried enabiling full access to those files, but it still said access denied...

Can you think of anything else I can try?

I have been on hold for close to 2 hours, trying to talk to microsoft tech support... and I doubt they can help, but it's worth a shot...

Let me know if you can come up with anything else.

Thanks for your help...

-Mark

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
What is the last item in your Advanced Settings list? See the attached as a reference, to be sure you were in the right place.

Edited by LindaGail, 14 December 2006 - 08:24 PM.

mes181

mes181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The last option is "Show pop up description for folder and desktop items"

mes181

mes181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yah, it is not there? Crazy... how do you make a copy of the image and paste it? That's pretty cool...

By the way, I really appreciate your help... I have been on hold for microsoft tech support for over 3 hours...

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
To take a screen shot, use the Print Screen button. Just pressing the Print Screen button takes an image of the entire screen, Alt-Print Screen takes just the active window. The image is placed on the clipboard. You can then paste it into just about any program. I pasted it into Paint.

Good luck with Microsoft. If I come across something else, I'll post it.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Are you logged in with a user account in the Administrator group?