Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bad ram

• Please log in to reply

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
how do i know if i have bad ram? Like if my computer doesnt start up? Is there anyway to find out using a program?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If your computer will NOT even boot up and you get no error beeps, the easist way to see if its memory is to pull the ram out of the computer and try starting it. You should be getting a long squealing or steady sound telling you theres no memory installed. Or nothing at all will happen(the computer will not start). Find a compatable stick of memory and try it. If it still does not boot, check power supply and on/off switch next.

SRX660

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
well it does start with the ram so i guess it isnt the ram..juz that when i start my comp it sometimes goes to a blue screen then restarts again, usually does it 3-4 times till it gets to the login screen :/. I used avg antivirus nothing was found.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
When there is a blue screen it posts a error code.
Please post that error code and others will be able to assist you further.
James

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
is there anyway i can freeze the blue screen so i can copy it down?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
have a camara ready

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
are u sure thats the only way >.< my camera aint fast enough lol

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
There is a opition to turn this automatic reboot off.

Right click my computer
scroll to properties
Click the advanced tab
Under start up and recovery, click settings.
Under where it says System Failure, Uncheck the box that says "Automatically Restart".

Now we should be able to figure out whats giving you the Blue Screen of DEATH!

-Yield22

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Do a search for and download a program called memtest86.. Install that to a floppy disk and use it to boot your computer with..

If you have more than 1 stick of ram, pull all but one and run the test for a couple hours and see if it errors.. Then, replace the tested ram with another and run the memtest program again.. Keep doing that for all ram sticks..

Once all have been tested one at a time, put them all in and run memtest again..

This will take a good portion of the day depending on the number of sticks you have !!

Murray

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Okay here's the blue error screen:

A problem has beenn detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, foolow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturerer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x805217E0)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

Okay i know i didnt install anything new cause ive reformatted my computer before and the blue screen still appeared. Plus all the hardware is installed properly. But the part where it talks about "disable bios memory options...." i don't really know how to do that, i just want to check with you guys first to do something. If you think it's not my bios what else could it be? :whistling:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

http://support.micro...=314063&sd=RMVP

http://support.micro...=244617&sd=RMVP

And a crappy microsoft KB article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/183169

http://www.aumha.org...top.php#general

Examine the “System” and “Application” logs in Event Viewer for other recent errors that might give further clues. To do this, launch EventVwr.msc from a Run box; or open “Administrative Tools” in the Control Panel then launch Event Viewer.

Post any error messages here.

SRX660

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
k those are the error logs, plus i updated all my drivers.

Attached Files

Edited by t3chnon3, 16 December 2006 - 02:39 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please go back into event viewer, go to the error log's in application and do a right click and click properties to find out where the error is coming from. I notice there are errors in sidebyside, cdrom, tcpip, and system. What does it say these error are? Look up the errors on google and see what you can find.

SRX660

t3chnon3

t3chnon3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
i always get this error saying to disable ai booster(cool and quiet) or something, i think it goes with my asus motherboard. It says to disable it in bios how do i enter bios setup menu?

Edited by t3chnon3, 17 December 2006 - 01:09 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Bios is entered by hitting the delete key while the computer is booting up. From what i read A.I. is a over clocking utility that will let you overclock by up to 10%. Look in the advancedarea of the bios fir it.

SRX660