Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless router help

• Please log in to reply

mitchbade

mitchbade

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
About two days ago i got a virus on my wireless computer and had to reformat my hard drive :whistling: but any way i got xp installed no problem installed all the driver and got the internet running everything. but when i went out to the main computer(the one hooked directly to the router) there was no internet. So i assumed i needed to reinstall the driver for the router on that computer becuase of the change. so i looked every were and i couldn't find the cd so i just decided to download the firmware and driver. I got the downloads that i needed and when i tried to connect to the router through the ip address it says that i can not connect. ive tried a lot but im ive come for help. It would be great to know if i was in the right direction or if anybody could help or offer ideas. any help is greatly apprieciated! thanks.

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. Have you tried to reset the router and modem? I want you to unplug the power to both the router and modem, and wait about 30 seconds. next, restore power only to the modem. Once your lights stop flashing (give it about 30 more seconds) then plug the router's power back in. Wait for all the check lights, and your computer should attempt to connect. Any such luck?

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
hi mitchbade,

Does the PC have a valid IP address? (Start /run /open=cmd. Type in "ipconfig"" (no quotes) and press Enter)
You should get back get back a list of connections with an IP, subnet mask, and default gateway. Most routers use 192.168.x.x for DHCP assignment but 172.16.x.x and 10.x.x.x are also valid. any thing else is assigned by the OS when it fails to obtain an address (usually 169.254.x.x).

Alternate to cmd:

Go to start /run /control panel /network connection (classic view). Double click on the Local Area Connection. If it's disabled this will enable it, if not disabled this will bring up a Status window. Click on the support tab and the connection information should be listed.