Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Oddest internet glitch of all times!

• Please log in to reply

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
It takes some pretty specific software to ban an IP addy from a site, and I doubt this webmaster has the sophistication, or the inclination- after all, it's a newspaper! With all the issues the rest of us had, I'd want to talk to the webhost, then chew on Verizon if that didn't get me anywhere. Ask the webmaster what host he uses (just to see if he knows!)
Administrative Contact:
Brooks Johnson (NIC-1478661) Media West Affiliated Companies
50 W. Liberty Street Suite 802
Reno NV 89501
US
[email protected]
+1.7757852100
Fax- +1.7757852119
Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
InfiNet Domain Services (NIC-1476048) InfiNet
740 Duke St.
Norfolk VA 23510
US
[email protected]
+1.7576642255

Johanna

Advertisements

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Just a thought, does anybody think this has to do with some crazy problem with JavaScript? CGI Proxies, along with PHP Proxies, disable client-side scripting(JavaScript) and when she uses the proxy she can access the site.

On Firefox 2.0, go to Tools>Options>Content. When at the Content menu un-check the box entitiled: Enable JavaScript. Now, try to go to the website.

Suzins

Suzins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I get so excited when anyone has an idea!

I disabled the javascript, but nothing. Good thought though!

I will be talking with the webmaster tomorrow but unfortunately I have found with Verizon you don't get the quality of technical support that should be expected. And getting beyond the person with the manual who doesn't really listen to your issue but is programmed to do specific tests no matter what is next to impossible. Their online help site restricts your problem description to 70 characters. You can type about two sentences and then you get a pat reply - they input key words from your problem into a FAQ . Replying to that you get a second try at the same thing. Replying to that gives you a customer service number which puts you back to Mr. Manual.

And on we go....

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts

It takes some pretty specific software to ban an IP addy from a site,

In my experience as a webmaster, it is actually remarkably easy. Go into the Control Panel and there is a link that says "Ban IP". You can ban individual ips or ranges of ips (it is possible that the webmaster is blocking a range of ip's and your ip is part of that range).

Basically, what is happening is somehow your ip can't access the website. What Proxify does is go to the website through a proxy, or a different ip address. So if your ip address is banned, then Proxify will get you through on an ip address that isn't banned. Make sense?

Of course, other things besides being banned can cause this; however, we can rule most of them out.

It shouldn't be a HOSTS file issue because the same computer could access it via a different connection (just to be sure, navigate to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc and open up the HOSTS file in NotePad. Is there a line for the website?)

It shouldn't be a Verizon issue because I find it hard to believe that you can access EVERY single site except for that one.

So my bet is still that somehow you're still being banned (even if the webmaster doesn't know it). To follow up on Johanna's reasoning, maybe it's a problem with the host of the website rather than the website itself.

Suzins

Suzins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay... sounds like a plan.. I will go for the host!

And I had already checked my hosts in the sys32 file... I've done so much before I posted this on here that I forgot to add that to the list. Delmarvanow was not found in there... the only notation was 'local hosts'.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Well, these are my results. (They are in Dutch, but I'll translate)

C:\Documents and Settings\Ict Lyceum>tracert 159.54.226.69

Bezig met het traceren van de route naar 159.54.226.69 via maximaal 30 hops

1 De doelhost is niet bereikbaar.

De trace is voltooid.

----------
It means:
----------

C:\Documents and Settings\Ict Lyceum>tracert 159.54.226.69

Tracing route to 159.54.226.69 through a maximum of 30 hops

1 The targethost is unavailable.

The trace is completed.

Suzins

Suzins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
As an update on this:

I've gotten nowhere with either Verizon or the webmaster.

And this morning out of the blue ... www.yahoo.com is doing the same thing! However I can go behind it to yahoo sites like news.yahoo.com and then use the links on that page to get to mail, etc. With the paper I cannot access anything through the back door so it's a little different but same error message, same results with tracert...

Ho Ho Ho

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Ok, ok I can see you are having a problem, so if you want, you can download this program: http://anon.inf.tu-d...ownload_en.html

For information on it go here: http://anon.inf.tu-d...e/index_en.html

I've used this program countless times and I've never had any problems with it. I use it at my school almost everyday! :whistling:

mpfeif101

mpfeif101

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,411 posts
That program basically does the same thing as Proxify...

It's a workaround, but not a solution to the problem.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this sounds a bit like a DNS issue (especially since the proxy service allows the system to work) contact verizon and see if they can give you some alternate DNS server ip addresses also see if they can tell you how to change the DNS information in your modem...if that's possible

Advertisements

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

That program basically does the same thing as Proxify...

It's a workaround, but not a solution to the problem.

I was just trying to provide her with a temporary solution until she can figure out what is wrong. :whistling:

Suzins

Suzins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dialog with Verizon resulted with them trying to guide me through a release and renew despite the fact that I've told them it returns to the same IP the first few zillion times I tried it before I called them.... and gee... wouldn't you know it... they finally said since I can't connect to the internet (which is NOT the problem nor what I attempted to tell them) that I ....drumroll please... need a new modem.

As if to add insult to injury... I received a bill from AOL today for a monthly fee after I used three weeks of my 'free' 90 day trial while I was ferreting out this issue. Once I called and cancelled the service I was transferred to billing to request that my credit card be refunded at which time they disconnected and when I called back I was told 'free customer service' is only given to active accounts and I had cancelled mine. I actually had to go to 'reactivate my account' to get to billing to have the process taken care of.

I really have no more tricks up my sleeve on this problem. I will keep checking back if anyone comes up with anything else and I will not give up but I want to thank everyone who had an idea. They were all good, we just didn't find the right combination ...

YET

shazmar

shazmar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Guys, I have been having exactly the same problem accessing NASA.gov sites which i used to go to fairly regular some time ago. Recently i decided to go back to see what was new on the sites and all i could get was server not found. I have not been able to find any reason for this but by reading through this thread i came across the proxify link and tried it, i got access to NASA sites no bother. So though i still don't know what the problem is at least i can now surf the sites by using proxify. So Geeks to Go have not only helped Suzins but me as well. Thanks to you all including Suzins for starting the thread. I had posted a similar thread on another forum but looks like i should have came here first. :whistling:

Suzins

Suzins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Shazmar
So nice to know I'm not alone!

Curious... do you use verizon dsl as well ?

And I did find that proxify will often limit what you can do to 'members'... and found one with the url
hideyour.info which allows me to do anything. I did find that if you return to a previously viewed site
with it that you sometimes need to refresh as it seems to remember the last visit.

Like you I'm glad to have been informed of this way to work around my problem but I sure wish
Santa would bring me the answer!

Merry Ho!

shazmar

shazmar

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Suzins, To be honest until I'd seen your post I had never even heard of verizon dsl. I'm in England and use Telewest cable broadband which is very good to be honest, which makes me think my problem is nothing to do with them. It's probably something I've done. However I have done a search of other forums and came across the following which I have pasted in to this reply so I hope I'm not gonna get done for copyright infringement or something. Just in case Thanks go to aeroman 10 who posted it.

OpenDNS makes the Internet experience safer, faster and smarter for you and everyone using your network.
You can use the OpenDNS servers instead of those assigned to you by your ISP.
The OpenDNS servers have security features that block potential phishing and other security risk websites.
They also claim to be faster at resolving queries than others -- I cant say whether its true or not -- I am trying this now.

Main Site: http://www.opendns.com
Benefits: http://www.opendns.com/what/
Source of news: http://computershopp...eb_surfing_fast

Quick way to get started:
Change the IP Address for the DNS servers in your router or computer to:

I have tried this and it works perfectly for me with no downside to it as far as I can see. In fact it adds an extra layer of security to my system with the anti phishing component, which can only be a good thing. You may want to give it a try.

Have a Good-Un