Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with parallel port

• Please log in to reply

scottydog1

scottydog1

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I've plug a device into my parallel port and my pc doesn't seem to pick it up. At first i get this error " Port Access file - FCIO.DLL - not Found".
Then has I run the application with the device I get this message "Access violation at address 00000000. Read of address 00000000"
In my bios I had to change LPT1 to EPP.

Could anyone give me any information on this matter. All would be must appreciated.
Thanks Scott

Advertisements

b1caez01

b1caez01

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts
It is important to install new hardware, completely shut everything off, and then reboot. This should evoke a message in the systray, that Windows is looking for and has acknowleged the presence of New Hardware...then it sets about to install the necessary routes in the tree for it to work in the future...

Did you follow that sequence...? ...it is called Plug and Play

For those new to the term, here is a wee bit of info...

"A standardized interface for the automatic recognition and installation of interface cards and devices on a PC."

"Plug-and-play (PnP) is a system which automatically detects devices such as disks, sound cards, ethernet cards, modems, etc. It finds all devices on the PCI bus and all devices that support PnP on the old ISA bus. Before PnP, many devices were automatically searched for by non-PnP methods, but were sometimes not found. PnP provides a way to find all devices that support PnP. It also does some low-level configuring of them. Non-PnP devices (or PnP devices which have not been correctly PnP-configured), can often be detected by non-PnP methods. The PCI bus is inherently PnP while the old ISA bus originally wasn't PnP but had PnP support added to it later. So sometimes PnP is used to only mean PnP for the old ISA bus. For example, when you see a boot-time message from "isapnp" and it reads: "Plug & Play device" it only means a ISA Plug & Play device. In this HOWTO, PnP means PnP for both the ISA and the PCI bus."