Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Problem!

• Please log in to reply

Lucababy

Lucababy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey! Well me internet's been playing up for a few weeks now, proxy etc... but a new ones happened, live messenger has been able to find out the problem... I cant sign in on MSN and some websites just don't load until a few tries...

Posted Image

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I would guess, since I do not know your network setting, that you have switched you settings for your DNS IP addresses from "Automatically Obtained" to manual. If this is the case you can do one of three things.
1) Set it back to "Automatic" and let your ISPs DNS server handle it.
2) Go into your Router's setup page and retrieve your ISP's DNS IP addresses and manually configure the setting.
3) Use Public DNS Servers to resolve your IP addresses. These servers are located around the world and are available free of charge.
NOTE: Only use the Tier 2 severs. Tier 0 and Tier 1 are off limits to the End User.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I love how the error message tells you to click a repair button that isn't even there.

After I've right clicked on the network connection icon in the notification area and chosen repair, I physically unplug the modem and router, go have a cup of coffee. I reboot the computer and plug the power back in on the Windows splash screen.

Someone more knowledgable could give the technical reasons this method occasionally works (forces the modem to renew its lease, resets the router etc) but not me. I think it's magic. If electrical deprivation doesn't do the trick, then I would follow the excellent advice given by acklan, above.
Johanna

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
:whistling: Yep there I go again.. running straight to third base instead of starting at first. Johanna's solution is the first and proper first step to starting to solve the problem. It more than likely will be all you need.
:blink: