Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help, display properties

• Please log in to reply

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
So I downloaded RegSeeker 1.52, ran it, and it somehow screwed up my registry entries (I think). As soon as I closed the program, all my custom desktop/themes where set to default. I can no longer change my xp theme, and many of my dropdown menus are now blank, my power schemes are blank, color schemes…blank, as in not available, nothing in the drop down boxes, also I cannot set a desktop background pic. This is all taking place in ‘Display Properties’ (desktop properties).

Whenever I try to change my theme to windows classic, I get an error message saying ‘the theme could not load. Unspecified error’ the path is listed as well (c\windows\resources\themes\windows classic). But the themes are there I don’t know what the problem is.

If I try to set a picture as my desktop background I get a message saying something about visual styles not working.

Advertisements

mxdz

mxdz

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I suggest you try deleting RegSeeker by un-installing it if possible and then RE-install the program you use to manage you themes ( if not , get a secure one with a theme , install it and apply a theme ) apply a theme , and then UN-apply it and reset your program to default/off theme , maybe this will get your display back to normal , but its just a logical idea , please wait for a professional geek to answer you :whistling:

Max - Sympathy to you , i am a theme lover too

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You have Windows XP? You might also try doing a System Restore from a day prior to using RegSeeker. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Choose "Restore my computer to an earlier time. You'll be presented with a calendar to choose a day. Follow the prompts to finish. The system will reboot, so have everything closed before doing it.

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
unfortunately i turned off system restore.

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
regseeker works from desktop (no install required). and i don't use a program to manage themes. i just like using use windows classic. can't now though, because of the accident.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here's some more information I got from kellys-korner-xp.com (a great place for Windows tips, tricks, and hints):

Themes (Won't Load or only Windows Classic is listed)

Go to Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Themes. Set to Automatic. Also check your settings here:

Start/Administrative Tools/Services/Terminal Services/Log On. At the bottom ensure that Hardware Profile Original Configuration is Enabled.

If the above doesn't apply/nor help: Only windows Classic is listed under Appearance:

1. Right click on the desktop and choose Properties.
2. On the Theme tab, choose the Windows XP.
3. If this option is missing, you may choose Browse... to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna.theme
4. The Luna.theme is the theme of the Windows XP.

If Luna.theme is missing: Go to Start/Run/Msconfig/Expand Files: Luna.MS_ and Luna.TH_

Restore Luna Theme (Line 187)
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Restore Themes Functionality (Line 187)
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Windows/Buttons Greyed Out under Appearance and/or Windows XP Style Changes to Windows Classic or (Line 214) http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm.

Additionally, to be sure it isn't a user account/profile problem, log in to Windows using a different user account (set up a new one if you don't have one already). See if you have the same issues. I used RegSeeker once and afterwards, my desktop was completely weird, icons wouldn't stay where I put them. I ended up creating a new user account and copying stuff my the old one to the new one. It wasn't that big a chore.

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i looked into some of the kellys corner stuff. it hasn't helped me yet. maybe i'll try a new account.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here's a link with some detailed instructions for recovering from a corrupt profile.
http://www.lockergno...p-user-profile/

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I want to avoid the profile change if I can. Although it does seem to be an issue with just my profile. All the options are available when I log on as a guest. I’ll will keep on with my search.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I would not recommend using the Guest account for the long-term. Look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300489

In my opinion, it really is not big deal to create a new user and copy your data.

Advertisements

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok. i may need to just suck it up. so when the new account is done, i can just delete the old account. how does this affect the HD space?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
After your new user profile is setup and you have everything in place (copied from the old account), you can delete your old user account folder under Documents and Settings. Then check the profiles stored on your computer by right-clicking My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab, User Profiles/Settings button. You can delete any that don't match a user account you've set up. Be sure you have your new user account completely setup before deleting anything from the old account.

Then, run a defrag on C:\.

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
for the most part, the new account seemed to work. only problem i'v noticed so far is that my AIM is not working. when i try to start the program, i get this message.

ERROR: Cannot Start AIM (0x80040154). (IM-0001)

i tried uninstalling and reinstalling with not luck. anyone know anything about how to correct this. thanks.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you still have the old user account, log in with that one to uninstall AIM. Then log in with the new account to reinstall.

Or if the old account is already deleted, uninstall AIM, reboot, run a registry cleaner, then reinstall AIM. I suggest Easy Cleaner by ToniArts. You can download it here: http://personal.inet...rts/ecleane.htm

** Always be careful with the registry. Back the registry or set a system restore point before making any changes.

The only thing I'm seeing when I google the error you get is the possibility of spyware. Do you have antivirus and antispyware installed? Are they updated and have you run full scans recently?

RyMaster17

RyMaster17

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
i do have antispyware and antivirus installed and up to date. i currently put a stop to creating the new account. because i was able to set a background picture, and set the screen saver to my current profile. it seems my control panel registries got screwed up. the fact the i can set a desktop background gives me hope. because before i was getting and error saying i cannot upload the visual display. a few more things that i have noticed is that the windows theme music when you startup is not playing anymore and the little sound effects are not there either, for instance when i empty the recycle bin it dose not make sound anymore. i'm still getting a visual display error when i try to load color schemes. i have tweaked this profile a bunch and have a lot of programs on it. i don't want to do the new account thing if i dont have to.

is there any way to correct my current user/control pannel, registry entries. i don't have a good back up registry nor do i have system restore enabled? long post.