Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer functions lock up, then can't do anything but a hard shut

• Please log in to reply

sawyer77

sawyer77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I wasn't sure which forum this is most appropriate for so I went to the most active one sorry.

For some reason when I use the volume buttons on my Laptop (the mute, and +/- thing) they don't work. When I press them certain things on my Laptop lock up. I can move the pointer but cannot click on anything. Also the only buttons I can use on the keyboard are ctrl+alt+delete.

The task manager does pop up but do to the inability to use keyboard or click and I can't do anything about it. The computer is NOT frozen I just lose the ability to use the functions described.

A friend of mine said he thinks it might have something to do with uncessary tablet PC drivers being activated by the volume buttons, but didn't know where to begin when it came to solving this issue. Also I have tried plugging in a USB mouse to no avail.

Thank you for any help, I'm new to these forums my name is Aaron I hope someone has an answer.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
hi, and welcome to geekstogo
remember we are working blind so bare with us
if you have not answered it already
- what model laptop
- which os XP home or XP pro
- how old is it

to topic then, depending on the make of laptop the secondary functions keys differ, and this might be the root of the problem, have you been on the maker's web site to see they can help, also when you bought the laptop did it come with a manual, sorry I cannot help more but I would try those first

sawyer77

sawyer77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi sorry for not writing more about the issue. It's a compaq V6000 custom built running windows XP home. It's not a fluke either it's definately some weird function key issue.

I ordered this same model laptop a couple months ago and this problem happened. But they shipped me a model without Brightview by accident, so I was shipped a new one.

After owning it about a month or so now it happened again. Both the website and the outsourced phone people were very unhelpful.

thank you for any help!