Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR File!

• Please log in to reply

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
HEllo,
I am looking for some help on figuring out why I can't get my PC to boot.......When I start my Pc it goes to the message That the NTLDR is missing......I know its some sort of boot file....so I put my windows disk in and it won;t bring it up so i can repair the missing boot files.....and I can't even get into the setup options.....!!...

HELP!

Thanks

-Jennifer

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Please keep in mind that we're working blind, so bear with me as I try to get additional information to assist in resolving your issue.

Confirm your Operating System. If XP, Home or Pro? SP 2?

Do you have your Windows installation CD? Is it a silver Microsoft Windows CD or something else? (for example, a colored [blue, purple, green] CD from Dell)

Is your computer a brand-name or custom built? If branded, which brand and model?

How long have you been getting this error?

What happened on the computer just prior to this error appearing? Did you install anything? Was your computer running okay before the error showed up?

To confirm: you can not get into BIOS to change the boot device order? And when you power up with the Windows CD in the CD drive, you are not prompted to "Press any key to boot from the CD"?

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,
Well I believe its XP home with SP2.....The cd i have is a backup Cd..so its a copy...The computer is made by balance...and has an intel cpu....I had been deleting files prior to this error message......and this message has just started.....and Im not able to get into BIOS at all!...and im not prompted to do anything when i have the Cd in the drive....

Thanks
JEnnifer

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you try the DEL and/or ESC keys to get into BIOS?

Do you have access to the original Windows CD?

Edited by LindaGail, 15 December 2006 - 03:08 PM.

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok!
I made it into BIOS and was able to get the disk to start....I made it to the recovery section....and its now asking me which installation i want to log into?...i can only type 1 character.....

Thanks

Jennifer

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You should be offered something like
1. Windows

Enter 1.

You'll be prompted for the password. This is the password set for the default administrator account at the time Windows was originally installed.

I found something to try at http://www.computerh.../ch000465.htm#b, and if it works will be quick and easy to get you back up and running.

Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Let us know if this worked or not. Good luck.

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
YEs...I was actually looking at the same page!.....But here is my question....I spoke to the person who installed the OS and they said they don;t remember putting an admin. passworkd!....so what can I do about that?

Thanks

Jennifer

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It is possible they didn't put a password on it. If that's the case, just hit "enter" when prompted for the password.

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK....That worked!....but when I type the "copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\"....it says acces is denied!....and i tried using other drive names....

Thanks

Jennifer

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Access denied to the CD drive or Hard drive?

Is your CD drive assigned letter E? Try letter D for the CD drive.

Advertisements

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It just says access denied....it doesn't say to which......and I tried "d" and "e".....

Thanks
Jennifer

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
At the command prompt, type typing in the alphabet letters followed by a colon (D:, E:, etc), until one takes. Then type DIR [enter] to get a directory listing of the contents of that drive. A: and B: are usually reserved for the floppy drive.

I'm worried that the Windows copy you have may be protected. To check, take the copy CD to a different computer and insert it into the drive. Open My Computer, right click over the CD drive and choose Explore. Are you able to browse the contents?

If so, and you have a floppy drive and diskette available, we may be able to try booting to a floppy and copying those files.

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok....I tried viewing the directories and it says that there is nothing in the drive.....but i know that the disk is not protected because i had the cd on my laptop before and I could browse all files.....but now when i try to get the disk out of the drive it does not respond....i hit the eject button and nothing happens!

Thanks

Jennifer

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Let me clarify what we've got going on, because I'm getting confused:

PC 1 won't boot - NTLDR error. When you tried to boot to the CD, you were getting access denied errors.

Now you're trying to browse the CD on a different PC that's having issues with the CD drive?

jennyxoxo.com

jennyxoxo.com

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No im saying that the disk that is in the pc with the missing ntldr file is saying access denied.....I know the disk is not protected ....but i don;t know why i can;t copy the files from it....