Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop video card

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
ive never really worked on a laptop, only desktops. can you upgrade the video cards? i know you can upgrade ram, hd, cd, floppy, and cpu. i have an older toshiba tecra 8000, i think it has a 2mb video card? i wanted to upgrade it

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It is not possible to upgrade the video on a tecra 8000.

SRX660

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
figures, not that it would help much, but can i overclock the little 300mhz cpu?

Edited by AnthonyJ, 16 December 2006 - 10:23 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Doubt it, on a 2mb video card you can't really expect much at all, it may even find flash games and films difficult...

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i know it does, when playing a vid, it jumps. can i upgrade the cards mem size? i know some desktop cards have expansion slots

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
No, in this BIOS you may be able to put the shared amount of RAM to it up, but then again thats taking down RAM that you need a lot for simple tasks. Just now while browsing the web with yes, ok quite a few programs open im using 4% CPU and 890mb memory...

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
im only running 22 processes on xp pro, 128mb ram 30hd and 300mhz cpu. browsing internet 50mb free 35-50% cpu

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There is no way to add extra shared memory for the graphics chipset. I have 3 Tecra 8000 laptops here and i sure cant find anything like that anywhere in the bios. System memory can be upgraded but be aware the early one's could only go up to 256 MB while i think the 300 MHz and up could be upgraded to 512 MB. I don't hardly bother with these real old laptop's anymore with part's so hard to find. Because of the small processor you will have more CPU usage. Last time i installed XP on a old dell 400 Mhz CPI-A it was so slow i did'nt even bother registering it. I went back to Win ME on the laptop.

SRX660

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
mines mighty speedy for its age, but it does download faster than my desktop, strange? around 580kb/s desktop 380kb/s desktop is a 2.0ghz 512mb compaq. also according to the internet my laptop can only be upgraded to 256 but i tried adding the original 64 with the 128, but freezes upon first loading of windows. also is there any overclocking programs that will work on it? ive also read the board will support up to a 750mhz mmc-1. yet i cant find one, im thinking all the sites i read that said that is a typo