Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 vs. Nintendo Wii vs. Playstation 3

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
The whole subject is systems, if you would like to discuss favorite games, open a new thread.

Advertisements

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

Still, even if PS3 were cheaper, I wouldn't want it.

Ditto.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Still, even if PS3 were cheaper, I wouldn't want it.

Ditto.

Ditto again. Lol, PS3 isn't my thang...

Edited by Steve Soleimani, 04 January 2007 - 05:06 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This'll make the console wars more interesting.
http://www.engadget....odename-zephyr/
I'm curious on wether or not they'll combine the HD-DVD player, can't see why they wouldn't as the HDMI should=HD-DVD. There have been rumors a way back, if they do, the x-box will be a much stronger competitor, but i'm still building my PC. Hopefully i don't break it in the process though :whistling:
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 January 2007 - 06:08 PM.

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

This'll make the console wars more interesting.
http://www.engadget....odename-zephyr/
I'm curious on wether or not they'll combine the HD-DVD player, can't see why they wouldn't as the HDMI should=HD-DVD. There have been rumors a way back, if they do, the x-box will be a much stronger competitor, but i'm still building my PC. Hopefully i don't break it in the process though :whistling:
James

I am holding out on buying a 360 hoping they will update them and include an internal HD-DVD player. We shall see...

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Very interesting heres what it says:

"Ever wonder why Microsoft hasn't released an HDMI cable for the Xbox 360, or whether the AV port was really capable of digital out? Well, here's your answer: we landed pictures of what appears to be the second Xbox 360 -- the Xbox 360 v2, if you will -- codenamed Zephyr. (The original Xbox 360, if you recall, was codenamed Xenon.) The long rumored about and awaited update to the console won't just feature a new, cooler 65nm processor, it's also finally added an HDMI port for full digital 1080p pleasure, as well as a 120GB drive, just what the doctor ordered. The 120GB drive may or may not come bundled with the kit, we don't yet know, just as we also don't yet know how much a Zephyr 360 is going to run (we imagine it'll go for the same price as currently so they can keep up a little on their expanding margin). But our very kind Xbox insider seemed happy to let us know we'd be able to get them "soon.""

Now my question is, is it a possibility that Microsoft recalls systems to do this? Or we have to buy it.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They'll never recall the systems, way to pricey. Remember back in the day when you had to buy an adapter for the PS2, wasn't it, to play online (or am i getting confused with something else). Then they made two versions afterwards that had the adapter a piece of the console.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 January 2007 - 11:35 PM.

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

They'll never recall the systems, way to pricey. Remember back in the day when you had to buy an adapter for the PS2, wasn't it, to play online (or am i getting confused with something else). Then they made two versions afterwards that had the adapter a piece of the console.
James

I remember the original PS2's did not include a port to allow online play, but it later came included. But yea nearly every console these days comes out with a updated version during its lifetime...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They often update them, look at the playstations they reduced the size dramatically in later versions of 1 & 2 as technology allowed them to do it.

although the 360 is a bit different in that they could/should have had it like that in the first place previous console updates have been new technology(like the PS2 online adapters just didn't really exist when it was first launched broadband internet wasn't common) HDMI and a large HDD were something alot of people expected from v1 360.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I agree about the larger hard drive however at the time of launch of the original xbox 360 there wasn't a large enough market to explain the premium people would have to pay for the HDMI(the technology was more expensive at the time, however its coming down in price). Now however times have changed a year later and most TV's you buy today have this hook up.
With this hook up however, there'd be no reason why the HD-DVD wouldn't be included from my point of view. But then again many people would have a outcry to have to pay the premium, but games are about to get large and have multiple discs, so there is no reason why it shouldn't be included if Microsoft wants to continue to have the more sophisticated and enjoyable games.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 January 2007 - 12:11 PM.

Advertisements

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
So whats is everyones recammended games, and for which system. Mine are Gears of War for Xbox 360. And Quake 4, Battlefield 2 MC, and of course Halo and Halo 2, not making a difference what you play it on.

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts

I agree about the larger hard drive however at the time of launch of the original xbox 360 there wasn't a large enough market to explain the premium people would have to pay for the HDMI(the technology was more expensive at the time, however its coming down in price). Now however times have changed a year later and most TV's you buy today have this hook up.
With this hook up however, there'd be no reason why the HD-DVD wouldn't be included from my point of view. But then again many people would have a outcry to have to pay the premium, but games are about to get large and have multiple discs, so there is no reason why it shouldn't be included if Microsoft wants to continue to have the more sophisticated and enjoyable games.
James

I don't know why Microsoft can't use the HD-DVD format to develop more HD games. Even if HD-DVD does fail, and Blu-ray or something else becomes the dominant HD format, it's not like that will effect their games because they only work in the Xbox anyway...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
adventually all games for the xbox 360 are going to be HD-DVD, whether we like it or not. The games are getting better, thus they are getting larger - to large infact for the double layer DVD format which is used. For a computer you only need to use more then one disc to install the game, but on a console, at this point in time you do not install it, unless its been downloaded. So making player change between disc really isn't an option. Unless of course we begin installing video games on consols, since 120GB will mean that we will be using it for various things that have yet to be introduced to the market.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 January 2007 - 12:15 PM.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Hmm interesting, consoles acting like computers. Maybe with a key board, mouse, controllers, and installing games like for example Halo 5 onto Xbox 720 and being able to go on the internet, like a computer, and play video games when you want, with the controller. Not a bad idea...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You already get a keyboard and mouse for the 360 good thing too controllers suck for allot of genres., really allot of games don't need even a single sided dvd even with HD content, look at the best PC FPS games 3 or 4 years ago they were huge now 1.8Gb is big they are very good at compression, optimisation and efficiency, there aren't even any PC games except for flight sims that use anything more than a single sided DVD and even at that alot of its just intentional because bigger files are harder to pirate. A game that needs more than a dual layer DVD is kinda excessive and lazy production and that should stand for a long time considering how small they can make a texture now. ET for example the new one can hold all the textures in a file well under 20Mb as little as 4 apparently. HDDVD is more for films things were the visual information is recorded rather than generated.