Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 vs. Nintendo Wii vs. Playstation 3

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Humph, i was looking around and your right....for some reason i thought a couple of games like Battlefield 2142 and company of heros where 6GB....wonder why, considering they are only like 1.5 and 3GB.
James

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yup you're average FPS is 1.6 and 1.9Gb these days as most of the images are all generated they don't need all that much space, RTS games are a little bigger more AI and textures.

Steve Soleimani

Steve Soleimani

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Idk some of the things your talking about but can't they develop a bigger DVD. Like to my knowledge the biggest is like a normal DVD, or DVD-R. So can't technology these days make a DVD hold more than 4.7 GB. And h/o are games for 360 that big, like what is the size of a Xbox 360 game, 1 GB?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They already have.
DVD+R and DVD-R are both the standard DVD that we use today, just different formates, e.g. has different lazers to right the data onto the disc and such, however all recent (as of about 2 years ago) DVD players/burner can do both, at the beginning however the majority were only DVD-R. These a the DVD that hold 4.7GB.
Double layer DVD (both DVD+R and DVD-R) were the next generation to come out, like the name says, the have two layers thus they can hold two times the data then the regular single layer DVD.
With DVD's you can't make any more layers, cause the disc will get larger, the drives won't except them, the technology has reached its limite, so we are more to the HD DVD's which we are now seeing.
HD-DVD can hold 15GB per layer and can hold up to 4 layers on the disc, however we only have 2 layers on the market currently, no blank versions sold on the market as of yet, that i know off.
Blu-ray can hold 25GB per disc with up to 4 layers, however only have 2 layers on the market currently like the HD-DVD.
But why can we have more layers then standard DVD's? Because the discs don't need to be as thick for one reason, among many others. More data is crammed into thiner layers and the disc are much denser.
Don't want to get into all the details though....to much to write.
James

Edited by james_8970, 11 January 2007 - 07:41 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The biggest factor in the increase in capacity is improvements in laser technology new lasers have a smaller wavelength so can pack in more data to the same space, the increased nmber of layers is a different innovation initially intended for normal DVDs and CD 10 layer CDs and DVDs exist but the cost was prohibitively expensive its also why the new formats are partly so expensive.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Ive decided to get a Xbox360 now even though i said im not going to get a console. Like 7 people out of 9 in my college course have a Xbox360 and i was looking at the online support for it and its by far the best and you even get profiles online which is pretty cool. Most consoles should be developed round online gaming now as thats what most people like. the Xbox360 is in the middle of the PS3 and the Wii making it the best console for the money. Im not a fan of nintendo but i really like the idea of movement sensing controlers the only bad thing about the Wii is that there isnt many games i like most of them being something ive never heard of before. The PS3 looks amazing but whats the point really unless you have a HD ready projector.

Sony have shot themselfs in the foot really making a console that hardly any1 will buy till its gone down quite stupid really as with the PS3 it came out at like £300 and everyone thought it was way to expensive but now sony makes a console that is the same price as an alright PC. Sony are really gonna make a loss on PS3 i think as its only gonna be bought when it goes down and starts competing with Xbox360 but by that time it could be too late.

Ive got a PS2 and it was amazing when i first got it but now its seen better days. The GPU wasnt that great either i remember FPS drops all the time in GTA:San Andreas. Oh and thats another thing you most probably wont see on the Wii is GTA4 which is going to be released in october this year apparently if it does come out on Wii it will be a miracle a viloent game on a nintendo game system.

Ive got fed up with PC now theres not many games i want i would like to play. With the consoles though theres always demand for games but with PC you need a pc with a graphics card and if you think about the people who go and buy a PC from pc world the will probably go for the cheapest one and listen to the salesman babbling on about shared graphics and saying that it can run games. Most people dont even look at the specs of the game with most games today requiring a graphics card to at least run it. Hopefully with Vista comes alot more games and in a few years time maybe PC will be the main gaming platform but to be honest i really cant see it happening.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you kidding about PC games there is like twice the number of PC games releases if not more EVERY year over the consoles and the games are so much better and that's not including mods, PCs are definitely the gaming machine for gamers selection is unbeatable there is no comparison games are just less advertised on the PC if you look you will find tonnes of games. Consoles have far fewer high quality adult games and the few exclusives they get are often based on older PC games or use PC engines(like gears of war). Titles that are either only on PC or have better features on PC include: Crysis, UT3(on consoles but PC has some different content and obviously moddable), STALKER, bioshock, hellgate:london, C&C3, supreme commander, maybe duke nukem forever if we are very lucky and of course episode 2 of half life 2 and team fortress 2. PC gaming this year is so far ahead of the consoles they cant compete in terms of games or hardware, especially as it takes so much longer to make a console game and they cost more to make and for you to buy. Because they cost less, developers take more risks and even if only one game makes it out of three or four it just benefits the consumer and the competition makes sure quality is high, and better games then sometimes get ported to the console.

I wouldn't get any of the consoles now other than the wii because MS and sony are moving from 90nm to a smaller process which will come with price drops on the consoles rumours are as much as $200 off a ps3 after the switch.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
^^ditto what he said... and don't forget Spore!

Soul Reaper

Soul Reaper

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Playstations are dinky and cheap materials my Ps2 fell off m shelf and never worked again but my Xbox has fallen like a gajillion times and works fine so im guessing 360 is the same way so it has my vote

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well Xboxes were made if old PC parts it used a pentium 3 for a long time which we all know is indestructible. Also the PS materials are the same as any others however to make them lighter they had to use less MS have never tried to reduce the wieght or size of an xbox so they can use as much as they need but to keep a playstation light it makes it weaker, they made them "dinky" because people like them like that and they are very popular as portable gaming systems in vehicles.

But you shouldnt judge the next console by the previous, if you did the 360 would again have been made with old PC parts that were obsolete for PC instead it used contempary or unreleased prototype level PC parts, the ps3 though did carry on sonys tradition of using the most advanced CPU they could lay there hands on.

Advertisements

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Xbox - looks cool, has more games

Playstation - came out really late. Con: Made by sony.

Wii - Con: www.wiihaveaproblem.com

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
Yeah im bored of the PC games i wanna be able to play my m8s in my own house, The PC is way ahead of all the consoles but what the PC doesnt have is a social life lol like who do you know who plays fifa on a PC 2 player and you probs cant anyways thats the trouble with PC, yes the hardware can be twice that of any console but the controls are crap unless you want to go out and buy a gamepad. I think the PC is really good for FPS but for other games like sports it sucks. I dont play stradegy or any of that crap. I want to be able to play games that are nice to play and not confusing where the buttons are. Ive just got an Xbox360 and its well gd tony hawks project 8 is really good.

Sony are a good make everything sony is quality. Nintendo is the con they plan on the wii was "lets make baby games appeal to adults" I was highly shocked when i saw COD3 on it. I would get a PS3 if i had the money but i dont and im not going to buy one. Oh and who ever has actually broken anything because they were using the Wii dont blame it. How can u put that much force on the controller to hurt you or send it flying round the room? Its your fault not the controller, controllers dont move you make it move lol

Edited by rumble291, 12 February 2007 - 02:58 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you cant put sony down on quality.

I suppose it depends on how you define social with a PC ive met a whole tonne of people on-line through games and have had allot of really interesting conversations and talked to allot of really cool people.

I don't play sport games though that's just sad to me, if you've got the time to play fifa with your friends you've got time to get a football and actually play it. And lanning is great and its just not as fun with consoles you lose something with them its fun but there isnt as much competition when playing friends like there is at a PC lan you just cant beat the atmosphere ive never had that with consoles. Also controllers are the PCs forte its real benefit you can use whatever kind of control interface you like game pads are only 5 or 10 pounds. Not that i would use a game pad ive got a keyboard a joystick and a mouse between them there is nothing that i cant play but then again i don't play sport or driving games dont see the point the whole thing about games is they are supposed to let you do things you cant in real life, and i can play sports and drive in real life and gain a tangible benefit from.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

yes the hardware can be twice that of any console but the controls are crap unless you want to go out and buy a gamepad. I think the PC is really good for FPS but for other games like sports it sucks.

A keyboard + mouse are great for any game except sport games. And then, you just buy a $20 Logitech Gamepad Pro (identical to ps2 controller, except with numbers instead of shapes...) and play. Wanna play your friends? Buy 2 controllers! Also, there's tons of people who play madden 07 on PC online... and FIFA maybe not just cause soccer isn't as popular as football (sure, half a billion South Americans might be obsessed with it, but how many of them own a computer with internet access?)

and honestly, consoles are just "dumbed down" versions of PCs. Non-upgradeable PCs at that... And so the games are dumbed down too, and I don't find them much fun. The only consoles I own are a NES and a N64 and that's only because of Super Smash Bros. and Ocarina of Time.

Edited by stettybet0, 13 February 2007 - 03:08 PM.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
The difference between a console and a PC is that the console is made only for gaming even though most of them have added features. I mean like having m8s round playing fifa or something when its freezing cold and wet. In the summer i go out play football everyday but the winter is just too cold, wet and boring. Online gaming on consoles should be good so far ive only got tony hawks project 8 and its rubbish online. The graphics on the 360 are pretty good even with a standard TV the difference is on the 360 it has features on Direct X 10 which we havent seen on a PC yet, well i havent. The good thing about the consoles are that they cannot be upgraded with PC its stupid if you buy the top of the range PC it will be the lowest in about 8 months. With consoles you dont see that, the game companys have to make the game for the consoles hardware. The only bad thing about consoles is for FPS cause the controls. Ive given up on PC i really cannot be bothered to keep upgrading to play the latest games it just sucks. ATM the 360 and PS3 have better graphics that the PC, well affordable PCs.