Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 vs. Nintendo Wii vs. Playstation 3

• Please log in to reply

vittorio

vittorio

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I own all three, and I have to say, it all boils down to gameplay. I like my 360 b/c of the controller, and the fact that all my family plays online on xbox live, and I game with them. On the PS3 I like the interface better, and how the games download to your hard drive, for faster loading. I own both systems also for the exclusive titles they both put out. As for the wii, it's in it's own category. It doesn't really try to compete with xbox or ps3 on a level of game titles and graphic interface. Instead, it focuses on interaction, and is very user friendly. I mean, my grandparents have a wii, and they have never touched a video game before it. It has a lot of multiplayer titles that are just all around fun, and with the wii motion plus attachment, it makes games like golf all the more realistic. Not to mention they make a killing on the fitness pitch, selling games like wii fit, and the biggest looser. I think it all boils down to, what's your flavor. Interaction, and something you can do with the whole famly, wii. Fast load times, built in blu ray player, fun interface ps3. Nice controls, dedicated servers, pretty good online experience xbox. I even have a DS and PSP, but then again I'm a junkie. I like having every system available so I can play any game I want... now if I could just convince my g/f to pick up a controller, then I'd probably marry her... lol :)

Advertisements

juna37

juna37

• Pip
  • 1 posts
How to play Wii on PC monitor
Maybe everyone knows about this but thought I'd point it out just in case....

Very useful for people like me who don't own a TV. If you want to plug your Wii into your PC monitor instead, the Vdigi VD-W2 is a good option. I bought mine from vdigi.com, cost about £25 or something. It seems pretty well built and works a treat. Only complaint is the blindingly bright blue LED it has on it. Also can't play Gamecube games, which is annoying, and a few wii games don't support the higher resolution either.

Thought I'd let you all know anyway... took me ages to track down what I was looking for.

Nazih Mikael Fares

Nazih Mikael Fares

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I think honestly that it's not about hardware specs but more like innovation...
Honestly they days of potato couch video gammer is gone, and youth and us need something to move...
The wii brought me that innovation... Even though it's not full HD, it has no hard disk, but it's more user friendly, and a treat to everyone who has a bunch of friends who wants to play some good multiplaying without having to spend a fortune... It's way more affordable...

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
This is something I've never been able to make a decision on. :)

I have played a PS3 a few times and the graphics are sensational! I love a lot of the games as well.

I've played an XBox 360 a few times and find the controller quite efficient. Again, the graphics are good.

I own the Wii. Its innovative controls I find extremely impressive. The only problem is that a lot of games available on PS3 and Xbox you can't get on the Wii.

It's hard to decide. :)

However, if I had to choose I'd go with the Wii due to innovation.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Basic response: I think the PlayStation 3 is better.

Why: Alright, now considering it's late 2010 when i'm posting this, I will compare the consoles AS THEY ARE NOW. Originally i'd have said "Xbox 360! The PS3 is more powerful, but it's game selection is pitiful, and the games that are getting released on it are just the same graphics-wise as 360, so the extra power means nothing" but now that has changed completely.

The reason why I didn't even include Wii in that discussion: PlayStation move and the Microsoft Kinect. Sony and Microsoft have brought their own versions of the wii's sensor remotes. Granted I haven't done in depth research, but from everything i've read - it's Wii, but better, with better games graphics, better sensory stuff (One review I read for the PS Move stated "If the Wii is like you feel you have 90% control, the move gives you 100%. It's like the difference between navigating a slightly laggy dvd menu screen, and the instant menu of a Playstation 3 game", or something along those lines). So basically - Price is one of the few things Nintendo has going for it right now. That and Mario. There's always Mario. Everyone loves Mario.

But back to the 360/PS3 war.

First, features. Blu-ray on the PS3. Just adds an entire new fuction to it that 360 can't match. Also the Playstations ability to be a dedicated media server is great. But the xbox 360 has it's msn that can run on the console, and i'd love that. I expected sony to counter with a PS3 version of Skype (They have Skype for PSP after all), but they never did (Bad Sony!). Oh, and PS3 can interact with PSP's to do a bunch of things - but I don't have a PSP so I can't say.

Second, game selection. This isn't as big of a deal anymore. All the really good games (except a very small amount) get released on both consoles. And both have nice console-specific games. But if forced to make a decision, 360 edges ahead slightly here, if only for Gears of War.

Third, price. This used to be a huge huge factor, when the PS3 was outrageously expensive. Then they removed the PS2 from inside it, and brought it's price down a lot (but removed a feature...). But up until recently (Here in Australia anyway) the PS3 was still much much more expensive than the 360 - that is until the 360 Slim came out. Here's some very useful info. The 360 slim added a bunch of features to the 360 that the playstation 3 ALREADY HAD, like Wireless internet connections, etc. But it still doesn't have the PS3's big selling point - blu-ray (does it?). And over here at least, Microsoft seemed to see this as an opportunity to throw $100-$150 onto the price of their console. I bought my PS3 (120gb) brand new about 2 weeks before the 360 slim came out, and it was cheaper than the cheapest slim I can find now, anywhere. So price? PS3 actually wins there now, from my personal experience. It was cheaper, and had a lot more funcctionality (blu-ray and media server stuff are big selling points).

Fouth, graphics. Not so much of an issue, especially back when the consoles were now. It is a big issue now. Originally the games were pretty much exactly the same, so someone getting a PS3 in 2006 and saying "Because it's got better graphics!" should have been saying "IT has better graphics potential!" My example here will be the game Dragon Age: Origins. Here's a strange and unexpected fact for you: the PS3 version of the game has MORE lag problems than the 360! Strange, you might say - "But isn't the PS3 more powerful?" Yeah, it is. The difference here is that the 360's version has worse graphics in it. It's like if you were playing on PC, the 360's graphics are set to Medium, while PS3 have it set to high. Give a few areas (The dwarven areas seemed to do it for me) a bit of a low framerate, but there's a very valid reason for it. So in terms of graphics, PS3 now wins that too.

Fifth, online gaming. This is one I can't actually answer. I've never played a 360 online, and have hardly touched it with my PS3 because of my terrible internet connection. Also, I can't be bothered researching it right now. From what I remember, xbox has a silver and gold subscription - gold costs money, and gold is the only one that gives you multiplayer online gaming. The PSN was just the PSN for a long time with all the gaming free and everything, but I do recall they just released a "PSN Plus" thing which is a paid service. But rather than giving you a bunch of services you don't normally get on the free one, it just gave you discounts and free stuff - I think. I really can't remember. So umm, value goes to the PS3, but I think the online gaming scene is a bit better, and more stable, for the xbox 360. I'll call this one a tie.

Sixth, Purchasing things online (Games/DLC/etc). Both of these consoles offer ways to download things like movies, games, DLC, etc. Sony has it's Playstation store, Microsoft have their marketplace. I can't comment on the actual things each of these have for sale, because I only have a PS3, but I do know what thing which is going to make me give this round to PS3. On the Microsoft Marketplace, you have these Microsoft points which you spend to get stuff. What the...? Just making things needlessly complicated. On the Playstation store, it's "This game. $15". Simple. And to make it even easier, you can link your account to your credit card and then ONLY spend the amount that the game costs. You can still, of course, just throw $30 into your Wallet and spend that on whatever you want, but that's beside the point. I'm going to give this round to PS3.

Finally, the menu's. This one is a bit iffy. I've spent a bit of time using both consoles (I own a PS3, my friend owns a 360) and i'd have to say the 360's menu system is more accessible, and a bit faster. By that I mean that it's simpler to look at and use for the first time. Probably because everything is so big and only the thing you're actually selected on is really big and in your face. But I do actually prefer the PS3's XMB system once you're used to it. I'm not exactly sure why, it just feels a lot more modern and professional to me. But as mentioned earlier, it feels a bit slower. So i'll give this round to the 360 for 'logic' reasons, even though I personally prefer the PS3 one.

Summary:
Features - PS3 win
Game Selection - Xbox 360 win
Price - PS3 win (Not kidding, look at my explanation)
Graphics - PS3 win
Online Gaming - Tie
Online Stores - PS3 win
Menu systems - Xbox 360 win

Author note: I AM biased, and I know it. I only own a PS3, although i've spent many many hours playing the 360 at a friends. I'm also a self acknowledged PlayStation fanboy, but I still pride myself on not letting my bias make decisions for me. I tried to present my arguments logically to show that the PS3 did win overall, but it's still up to personal taste. Some of the benefits the 360 has that the PS3 doesn't may be much much more important to other than they are to me, and that can dramatically sway your choice.

Final Result: PlayStation 3 reigns supreme

Thanks for reading!

J Edgar

J Edgar

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm sorry Seltox but I have to disagree with you. Although I have owned both a Playstation 1 and Playstation 2, played many hours on the Playstation 3 and just recently brought my girlfriend an Xbox 360 with Kinect I can honestly say the Xbox is the better choice and I will justify my reasons why.

You first mentioned the main selling point for a Playstation 3 is its blu ray drive, but to be honest I don't know one single person that has ever brought a Blu ray film let alone own a collection, this I believe is down to the downloading media phase that will soon come about mainstream, basically meaning anything we want on digital media can be downloaded, however the limitations we have is the internet speeds of today, but give it 5-10 years and i'm sure blu ray will fade into the dark with DVD's while we will be buying games and contents through our consoles without ever using the drive to play games. I would also like to mention that the new Xbox machines comes with the newer wireless 'n' that no other console offers, this capability means you get 4 MIMO multi streams as apposed to the one on a, b and g.

You mentioned the price of Playstations being the best, however I disagree. If I was to propose an ideal to Sony, it would be to drop the blu ray drive which will in turn drop the price down of the console to around the Xbox 360 price. I go fact to know is that Sony have only been making profit on the consoles since April 2010, so for tha past 4 years it has been taking a lost, where as the Xbox 360 has been taking profit near enough the time they launched. This I believe is because of the use of a blu ray drive in a console (Not needed!)

Graphics wise, they are identical, they only way to measure the quality of the game would be to measure the amount of floating points and computational processing every seconds, which in all honestly would seem like gibberish to a normal person. A known fact is that the GPU on the Xbox is far superior than the PS3, I would explain why, but its just too technical for this board.

The PS3 and Xbox are great consoles and I don't expect them to release another console for around 5 years, I don't even think we have seen the full potential of both consoles.