Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Temperature worry?

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Whats up?

I have no idea if these temperatures are normal for my Emachine p4 2.4ghz

Temperatures currently when not doing anything special (internet, idle mostly)

Posted Image

It gets higher than that..
are those temps ok? Im probably gonna buy me a cheap case fan tomorrow to help the temperatures somewhat.. what do you guys think?

Advertisements

oldmantaggie

oldmantaggie

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Those seem pretty normal. If they get out of hand your computer should shut itself off (I have been told not to worry unless temps are constantly over 60). If you want to be safe, check your BIOS settings, there is probably a shutoff temp you can set.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Adding a case fan could help here as i see the case temp probe temperature is close to the cpu temp. This means air is not moving much in the case. My Intel 3.0 puter runs a constant 36° on the cpu and 32° in the case. My case's are modifyied for better flow and there are 3 case fans running on 7 volts(for low noise) in the case.

Even more important is that yourpower supply voltages are low. The +5 volts is a bit low and your +12 volts is really low. The athlon 2400 puter i have was locking up when the voltages were similar. Switching to a better power supply put the voltages where they belonged at +5.21 and +12.42 volts. You are running over the voltage limit's on the PS. If you don't have problems then run it but if the comp starts crashing once in a while i would look into a new PS. If your case is like the T-2642 e-machine case i have the standard ATX power supplys fit easily. I see a lot of under-voltages on factory computers that have cheap power supply's.

SRX660

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Thanks for that SRX660.

As a matter of fact, I never froze.

My Emachine is a T4480.

Ok I am gonna buy a casefan today.

Since I dont have a Credit Card.. how will this 120mm case fan do?
http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Make sure a 120 mm fan will fit your case. Only a 80 mm will fit in mine 80 mm fans are almost 3 and 1/4" wide , while 120 mm fans are 4 and 3/4 " wide. Mine also has room for a 80 mm fan at the rear and no place for a front fan to suck air into the case. There are vents at the front for air to come thru tho.
Heres some prices i get from new egg.

The most CFM found of any 120 mm fan.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999344

A real good external speed control 80mm fan.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811999013

As you can see prices are slightly less for better fans.

NOTE: I use my bank debit account to buy everything from NewEgg. The debit card has to be backed by a credit card company to be able to do this. My bank does.

SRX660

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
As I am a high school student, I do not have the privilages of having a credit card/debit card as of the moment... so I will need to purchase in store.

I will take a picture of the back of my case to see what size it needs before I go out and buy it.

Thanks again

Edited by Yield22, 16 December 2006 - 01:51 PM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
hi sorry to butt in. but i thought as this thread is here ill ask the same question for my pc,

i have a custom built pc with a p4 2.4ghz well its running at 2.5ghz oh and i made a stuipd misstake and forgot all about the paste stuff u put on the new processor tho i bought some to day and will put it on.. the pc has been running for over a week now with no paste on the cpu i know.. stupid of me but its my first time upgrading a cpu.. just to to be clear. hope you can have a look at the pic and let me know if everything ok.. also on the temp 3. is that -22? or is the wee line not meant to be there?

thanks for your replies

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfanresults.JPG

Edited by StaticRed, 16 December 2006 - 02:14 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
you seem to be running better than me... those temps are amazing..

heres my pic of where the case fan should be..

SRX660, lemme know what size it is asap!

Posted Image

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Your temperatures look fine to me Yield, the green tick next to the temperature means it's OK. They are all below 50 meaning it is pretty cool in comparison to other systems.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY TEMPERATURES

This is because at the moment, I have just bought a crappy new power supply as my last one had blown up, and I have the case side off... It looks messy in there, but its a lot cooler than it was. The main problem is my graphics card, it generates soo much heat even when idle, and being so close to the CPU the heatsink works better as a conductor of the graphic cards heat than anything, which really does heat up my system. I had a case fan up the back off my case, I just took it off and I'm laying it on my graphics card and leaning on the cpu. In effect this keeps the hot air a bit further away from the heatsink, helping my cooling a lot! Hopefully my new power supply gets here soon, this was just a cheap one I found to substitute for the time being.

For a better idea HERE IS MY PC FROM THE SIDE.

Wow, caught a nice pic with that camera, it looks like the fan is standstill...

Edited by SuperSam, 16 December 2006 - 03:30 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
No sometimes temp 2 and 3 reach over 60 degrees celsius when its on for a few hours.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Click the images in my previous post... Oh, well aslong as it doesn't reset you should be OK, but if you want to put an extra fan in there obviously do so!

Edited by SuperSam, 16 December 2006 - 03:32 PM.

StaticRed

StaticRed

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Your temperatures look fine to me Yield, the green tick next to the temperature means it's OK. They are all below 50 meaning it is pretty cool in comparison to other systems.

CLICK HERE TO SEE MY TEMPERATURES

This is because at the moment, I have just bought a crappy new power supply as my last one had blown up, and I have the case side off... It looks messy in there, but its a lot cooler than it was. The main problem is my graphics card, it generates soo much heat even when idle, and being so close to the CPU the heatsink works better as a conductor of the graphic cards heat than anything, which really does heat up my system. I had a case fan up the back off my case, I just took it off and I'm laying it on my graphics card and leaning on the cpu. In effect this keeps the hot air a bit further away from the heatsink, helping my cooling a lot! Hopefully my new power supply gets here soon, this was just a cheap one I found to substitute for the time being.

For a better idea HERE IS MY PC FROM THE SIDE.

Wow, caught a nice pic with that camera, it looks like the fan is standstill...

mine ok to?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I am trying to figure out by SRX on what mm fan I need unless I gotta bring the computer to circuit city?

StaticRed, your temps are great.

I will probably buy a new PSU while im there.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had a athlon 993 cpu that was running at a constant 60-62° all the time. I just never checked it until one day i was in the bios to switch the boot order to the cdrom first for a reinstall of Win ME. This computer had ran like that for over 2 years and at the time i was not shutting the computer off at all. It was on 24/7.

Static red, your temps are pretty good for not having any paste in it.

Yeild22, measure across 2 of the outside holes( where the screws hold it in place). if its 3 inches across get a 80 mm fan, if its 4 inches across you can get a 120mm fan.

Supersam, i bought a bunch of these and they work quite well in cooling a GPU. I have even had 2 of them on 1 graphics card, one on each side( dictated by the slot layout on the motherboard).

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835888309

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835888003

Just remember faster speeds means much louder also.

SRX660

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Oooh, thanks SRX660, I might have to buy some of them :whistling: