Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Trying to get kids games going on gifted pc

• Please log in to reply

seashell70

seashell70

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,
I have been given an ex office desktop - Dell.
It is a Intel Celeron processor, 398Mhz, 128MB of RAM
Has Windows XP Proff loaded with SP2 and 7.8GB hard-drive. It has no sound.

We want to use it for young children's games and it will not be connected to internet.

We have bought a 'DK' game for it:My Frist CD Todder CD
which requires
P3 366 Mhz, 128MB, 285MB disk space.

We live in Australia.

Questions:

1. What kind of sound card do we need?
I have seen one on EBay, new, for $A11 (includes postage) which is advertised as:
"5.1 USB sound card suitable for PC's & Laptops RRP $39".
Is this what we need. A USB card appeals as I would have no idea how to put something internally into the pc.
2. Would we need a 'graphics card' to run this game. How would I tell what graphics the p.c. has? The person that gave it to me thought it probably had 'basic internal graphics' - whatever that means.
We only ever want it for basic kids educational games - eldest is only 3yrs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

simon_shaft

simon_shaft

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
1.Well, I suppose you don't really need the 5.1 feature there. the 5.1 usually refers to some higher quality sound. Just a normal, cheap sound card would be enough. If that's the cheapest you can find, it would be okay. Still, dont forget bout the speaker. What type of speaker are you goin to use? basics would be enough. Still, I don't think that it (the USb sound card) would work on USB hub (something like the USB extension). Usually, the sound card must be connected directly to the computer. If I were you, I might as well as find a second hand or new internal sound card. Fixing it would'nt be very hard, though. You just need to know the right place to put the sound card. But, if you dont hav the nerve to do so, the USB sound card is the best option.
2.I don't think you would really need graphics card here. If you would need one, it would ask either when you're were installing it or when you are trying to play the game. If you'd need one, I would recommend the older one since you aren't using it for a very long time. Something like nVIDIA GeForce2 would be enough. If you're planning to use it for a long time, you might consider something better and costs more. About the GeForce2, you might just as well find the second hand since its very old now, it might be hard to find a new one nowdays. And, you will have to fix the graphic card, since it is hardware. Its just simple, what you hav to do is just open up the casing and you should find some slot to put the graphics card . There are also motherboard that has a slot specially for the graphics card. Just plug it in and put the monitor's cable to the socket and you're done. If you still don't understand how does it work, you might want to check on some local computer shops to put it for you, or even maybe your neighbour that knows how to do it. Just note that if you'd touched something wrongly in the motherboard, your computer might not start up, which can be settled by just putting the sockets right back in place.

Hope i can help then. And please correct me if I'm wrong (to any more pro member)