Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Connectivity Problem

• Please log in to reply

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi there,

My wireless access was running fine until yesterday. It then wouldn't let me browse the net, so I tried to 'repair' the connection. Now all I get is a message saying I have 'Limited or No COnnectivity'. I can however connect to the net by cable. Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
Is there any encryption set on your wireless router? If not, try changing the channel - 1, 6, and 11 will work the best. This sounds like either an authentication or encryption issue.

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for you reply.

How do I go about changing channels? I'm quite new to wireless networking.

Thanks again.

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
My wireless adapter connects okay, and retrieved a new ip address. Even so, when I open my browser it can't connect by wireless. Although I was streaming radio, and the cable came out. The wireless connection kept the radio playing. It just wont work with new connections. I hope that made sense. I'm very tired. :whistling:

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
The intel wireless adapter pciks up the network fine. Signal strength etc are perfect. Despite this I can't seem to connect to the internet, even though it's telling me that I'm connected. Any ideas you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sorry I don't have more technical details about this issue, but I am new to wireless networking, and am working with a new notepad with it's own (Toshiba) integrated wireless interface (ConfigFree). If any further information is needed I will swiftly supply it.

Thanks Again.

Mark

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
That's getting weirder and weirder, although that radio could have been cached. The channel is a setting you change in the configuration of your router.

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for your reply, Kurenai. I greatly appreciate it.

This thing's really starting to bug me now. When I moved hosue a few weeks ago, my laptop easily picked up the new network and connected. No problems whatsoever. All of a sudden it doesn't work now and I can't understand why. It recognises the Network perfectly. Connects to it. Everything fine. It just wont let me browse the internet (with either Firefox or IE).

The weird thing is that it connects to yahoo messenger okay. I get the message pop-up telling me how many new mail messages I have, but when I click to view them I get 'This page cannot be displayed' message.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to read this.

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry, almost forgot. My LAN connection (which works) is showing a different IP adress than my wireless connection (which doesn't). Not sure if this is significant, but I thought I'd add it in anyway.

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
The IP addresses should be similar, but not exactly the same. The first three groups of numbers should be the same (for example, 192.168.1), but the last should be different.

Try this: In IE or Firefox, in the address bar, type in: 216.239.39.99
and let me know if it brings anything up. It sounds like your wireless isn't binding dns for some reason, which is a semi-fixable problem.

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks mate. I'll try it tonight.

The connection is sending packets, but not recieving. Not sure if that helps you any.

I tried running Windows wzc to manage my wireless, but this didn't help, so I just switched back to Toshiba configfree.

Anyway, thanks again for the connecion, I'll try it out when I get home tonight and let you know how I get on.

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hit there,

I tried typing that address into Firefox, but the connection timed out. No luck.

Also, my ip addresses share the same first 2 sets of numbers, with different third and fourth sets

Dr Raoul

Dr Raoul

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I read somewhere today that changing the power management options on a notebook can cause this problem. I'm sure I changed the options at some point, but I can't remember exactly how. I also probably saved these new options over the default profile. The program used was 'TOSHIBA POWER SAVER'

Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.