Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Erratic Computer Behavior

• Please log in to reply

moondy

moondy

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,
My issue is as follows. For the past week or so my computer has begun hanging, becoming very slow and now for the past few days a complete computer freeze, nothing responds at all no matter how long i wait.
I turn on my computer, wait tediously for a few minutes for everything to load up even though i have turned off a lot of the start up programs (msn etc). I click on a program and then boom, my computer doesn't respond again. I have restarted it at least 30-40 times in normal AND (what im in now) safe mode, and yes even safe mode crashes if i click the wrong program (which can be any program...as i said its very random).
Its been getting kinda crazy, im not exactly a computer wizz but i consider myself a intermediate going-on-advanced computer guy. I've done everything i can to try and get rid of the most likely cause, viruses and other misalliance infestations.
Ive used Ad-Aware and Spybot, both say my computer is clean.

Ive had this Dell Dimension 4600 for over 2 years now and there have been a lot of issues...but this is by far the worst and most annoying.

If you would like specs or anything else it'll be gladly replying with the relevent information.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm

Can you run disc clean up

Reboot the PC

Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow (with the space), press enter

moondy

moondy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok ive done the prefetch thing...i deleted all of them. my disk cleanup works. but i dont think the disk clean up will help. I use TuneUp Utilities 2006 and it cleans up all trash data i dont need.

Should it work now seeing as ive done both?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I added Right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow (with the space), press enter to the first reply

See how it is then

moondy

moondy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
oh sorry didnt see you edited it. ok well im actually in normal mode (yay) and so far no crash...i did your windows check thing. Its done a little bit but has already come up and said "Files that are required for Windows to work properly must be copied to the DLL Cache".

It says to insert the disk, unfortunately i have no idea where i put it for some months now. I assume this is the cause of my crashes? Is there anyway to get the required files by downloading it?

thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The files are only on the XP CD

You can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD

moondy

moondy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
ok but what if i cant borrow...your saying im rooted?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could run it and see how many it wants to replace, click skip when it wants the CD

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Have you tried these? Guaranteed to help your computer. You do have Zone Alarm firewall don't you?

AWC
http://iobit.com/Adv...onal/index.html

Basic Cleanup:
http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

Dial a fix:
http://www.majorgeek...wnload4899.html

moondy

moondy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yeah thanks i used the Panda free test thing on my computer from another similar post. I download the free 30 day trial, i think the cause was virus and spy ware etc. plus i guess im missing some vital XP files...so i guess i will have to replace that.

Im guessing these where the causes...things seem to be a lot more stable since got rid of ad aware etc...thanks all for your input it wasn't waisted i assure you :blink:

If problems persist i guess ill relate back to the G2G :whistling:

Edited by moondy, 16 December 2006 - 09:49 PM.

moondy

moondy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Also, i seem to be getting this message a lot...anyone know how to cure it?
Posted Image