Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very loud humming noise at start up

• Please log in to reply

_Endless_

_Endless_

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I have had Windows XP for 3 years now and in the past year my computer has stopped working 3 times, which resulted in losing everything and I wasn't able to get on it at all. I had to get someone to come out to look at it, they took it away and rang up to say that the hard drive had died and that I needed a new one. A week before it broke, it had been making a very loud humming noise, and it still is! It stops once everything is loaded. The computer guy said he had cleaned the fan and stuff and he said it's making that noise because it's old. He said it's ok, but I'm a bit worried 'cos imo it doesn't sound too good! Then again, I'm not the professional. :whistling: I'm not sure what to do because I'm worried incase I may lose everything again, even though I now have a flash drive it's still very annoying having to start from scratch!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Have you tried to determine the source of the noise? Is it coming from the case fans, the power supply, the hard drive? Any idea? The computer tech you hired could be right. Did he give any indication as to the source of the noise?

_Endless_

_Endless_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
He said when the computer is first switched on the fan makes the noise because it needs to reach a certain temperature, or something like that. And that it was the ball barings inside of the fans wearing away. This only started to happen a week ago, is it damaging?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
As long as the fan is working, it is ok. Did he say which fan? Case fan or power supply? Fans can be replaced you know...