Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Ports on the Fritz

• Please log in to reply

G3NERAL

G3NERAL

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello

Windows XP Home ed. SP2
3500+ AMD
1 Gb DDR2
200 Gb Hd

I am having a little trouble with the USB ports on the front of my computer.
There are 3 on the front and 4 on the back so total of 7 in all.
The ones in the back work perfectly fine but the ones in the front will somtimes not read my device.
I have a Samsung YP-MT6 MP3 player, and i also hook up my USB flash drive to the front
as its easier to access when in a hurry, and i was just wondering what could be the cause of the problem?

Thanks, G3NERAL

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
one of the simplest reasons is that the longer the cord the more resistance it has, therefore the usb plugs in the back are directly on the motherboard with no resistance at all whereas the the ones on the front of the computer follow an internal cord from the motherboard to the front of your computer losing a very small amount of power in the process, then again if you have many usb devices attached at once here again the power to each is divided,

suggest having the non powersupported usb devices in the back of the computer even if that means turning the computer sideways, or your getting a externally powered usb rack(help, the exact name for them escapes me) with an extension cord from it

help this helps

G3NERAL

G3NERAL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks ill heed ur words of advice