Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook: I cannot receive my email

• Please log in to reply

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello,
since yesterday I cannot receive nor send any mail via Outlook.

I receive following message in Dutch:
"Bij taak pop3.antw.online.be - Bezig met verzenden en ontvangen is een fout (0x8004210A) opgetreden: Er is een time-out opgetreden bij de bewerking voordat een antwoord van de POP-server voor inkomende berichten is ontvangen. Als u dit bericht blijft ontvangen, neemt u contact op met de serverbeerder of Internet-provider (ISP)."

Free translated this means that during transmission an error occured 0x8004210A: a time out occured before message could be retrieved.

I checked with my ISP and they told that there must be a file corruption in Outlook as everything was OK there side.

So I uninstalled my whole MS Office application and installed it again. I reinstalled the SP3 also. To no avail: same problem.

Can you help me in this ??

Thanks before hand

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try setting up a new mail profile. Click Start, Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles. At the top of the General screen you'll see the profiles already setup - at the botton there's an option to "prompt for a profile" or "always use this profile". Click "Add" to add a new profile. You'll need to know all your ISP settings for your account to set up your email account. After you set up the new profile, be sure to change that option on the General tab so Outlook opens with your new profile.

If in your new profile everything works, we can get back into the old profile, export all your items (inbox items, sent, calendar, tasks, etc), and import them into the new one.

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for replying so fast.

I did what you told me to do and Outlook opened with a virgin inbox, no sent items, etc.
But, I still couldn't connect with the ISP.

Actually when testing the accountsettings I received following messages:

"Task: Connecting OK
Task: Outgoing mail server (SMTP) Stopped
Task: Incoming mailserver (POP3) Stopped"

Not very good news I know, but just the sad reality.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Did you confirm the outgoing and incoming server addresses with your ISP?

Do you have a firewall on your computer?

Do you have new antivirus software? See this Microsoft article that indicates antivirus software can cause an 0x8004210A timeout error.

Here's another MS Article on that error: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=827349

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for replying.

What do you mean by "confirming the outgoing and incoming server adresses with my ISP" ?

I used the existing adresses in my previous profile for the new profile I created as asked.

I have a firewall (Microsoft) and a antivirus (AVG) but nothing new. I uploaded them months ago without problems with OUTLOOK.

I had connections with my ISP till thursday PM without any error message. As from my log on on friday AM those error messages started and I could not retrieve nor send any messages from my own computer.
I cheched with the ISP and they confirmed all settings were OK.
They advised to uninstall MS Office and to reinstall it. So I did to no avail.
I also uninstalled AVG and reinstalled it. Again to no avail.

I read the microsoft articles before contacting you but can't trace my problems to any new software installed on my computer.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

What do you mean by "confirming the outgoing and incoming server adresses with my ISP" ?

See the attached screen. I was referring to the server setup section of the email account. Since setting up a new mail profile didn't work, you can change back to the old mail profile (post #2).

Have you tried restoring your system to day prior to the problem?

Do you have a router or does your internet connection go straight into your computer?

Where are you located? I take it not in the US :whistling:

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks for the reply.

Yes I completed those sections with the same info as the old mail profile.

I did not tried to restore the settings. How do I do that ?

My internet connection is through a router. It comes in the house via cable. Internet is working fine. It is just Outlook!

I'm not in the US but in Belgium (Europe).

Byebye for now

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

Yes I completed those sections with the same info as the old mail profile.

But have you confirmed with your ISP that the incoming and outgoing servers are correct?

I did not tried to restore the settings. How do I do that ?

I'm referring to Windows XP System Restore. Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Choose Restore My Computer to an Earlier Time. You'll be presented with a calendar to choose a day - be sure to choose one prior to the problem.

I don't know if this will help, since I'm not sure exactly what is causing the problem, but I don't think it can hurt.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try going to >>>tools>>>accounts>>>properties>>>advance>>>and set your timer there

allow it more time until you get the right amount to connect

theres a slider there to set timer

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
To RUSHIN1ND:
Thanks for the help but I tried this already on my own but ...... no connnection !

To LINDAGAIL:
Thanks for your patience.
I tried to restore the system to a previous point (20061201). After closing Windows and restoring the system I got the info that no restoration was done as there was no change.
Smart PC i would say........

I can also confirm that both POP3 and SMTP are corrrect.

I tried with another ISP and created a totally new profile. Again when testing the connection I received
the same notices:
Making connection OK
Searching server for incoming mail Cancelled
Searching server for outgoing mail Cancelled

I think my computer is really stubborn !!!!

For your info: I tried to start outlook express as an alternative to outlook but this is not working either .......

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you run the registry edit option

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
No, how do I do that ??

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
try doing what worked for me..just removed outlook from firewall settings and do the same with outlook express then add outlook back to firewall and reactivate your email with outlook express but keep adding your same email in to your account believe it or not i have 3 or 4 of the same email accounts in outlook the default and 3 others all are the same ...its sounds wierd but it worked and im guessing the firewall scanning all of them allowing it to connect ...strange ...yes

Edited by rushin1nd, 19 December 2006 - 02:48 PM.

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks RUSHIN1ND,

I disabled my firewall (from microsoft) and disabled my antivirus scanner (AVG).
I tried 3 new profiles and when testing the connections I keep on getting the same messages:

Making connection OK
Searching server for incoming mail Cancelled
Searching server for outgoing mail Cancelled

Even without firewall anti antivirus scan the search for a server is cancelled.

For a reason I donot understand OUTLOOK makes a connection with my ISP but then cancels the search for the POP server and the SMTP server.

???????????????????

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

Did you run the registry edit option

No, how do I do that ??

I believe Keith was asking about the registry option shown in MS article 827349 that I referenced in Post #4. Did you make this registry change?

Also, what happened with the computer just prior to Outlook starting to get that error? Did you install anything, uninstall anything, have any issues at all?

Have you checked with your ISP technical department on the specific errors (searching server for incoming/outgoing mail cancelled)?

Please look at this sample chapter called Troubleshooting Microsoft Outlook 2002, specifically the first section "My e-mail account doesn't work". Please again contact your ISP and confirm all the settings are correct.