Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook: I cannot receive my email

• Please log in to reply

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I added the registry item but again ......to no avail.

The only thing strange that happened thursday evening was when we closed the computer. We normally get a black screen telling that we can turn the computer off. That evening the screen was blue with some other messages , which my wife did no see as she was not in front of the computer. Eventually a message appeared in the blue screen that she could turn the computer off. Which she did.

In the morning she logged in as normal and - hop - we got those outlook messages.

We phoned the ISP and they confirmed that all settings were OK.
In the meantime I checked again with them. They now asked to try a few other POP3 adresses but .... to no avail.

Hope this helps!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Well, a blue screen puts a whole new slant on the problem. Check the event log for that date and time. We'll be interested in any items that have Warning or Error in the first column.

To get into the Event View, click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Evnet Viewer. On the right side are three categories: Applictions, Security, and System. Check the Application and System logs. If you find a Warning or Error event with the date and time that you shut the computer down that night, please copy the event (there's a copy to clipboard icon in the Event, on the right side just under the 'down' arrow), and paste it in this thead. If there are a bunch of Warnings and/or Errors, copy/paste them into a Notepad text document and attach to the thread.

It would probably be a good idea to run a checkdisk on the hard drive. Open My Computer, right click over C:\, Properties, Tools, Error Checking/Check Now. You'll get a blurb that the diagnostics can't run now and would you like to run at the next reboot. Click Yes (or Okay). The next time you reboot, the checkdisk will run through 5 steps and it will take a little bit of time.

Also, I'd suggest running SFC (System File Checking). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks.

I found following error messages 14 december in the system logs:

Type gebeurtenis: Fout
Bron van gebeurtenis: SideBySide
Categorie van gebeurtenis: Geen
Gebeurtenis-ID: 59
Datum: 14-12-2006
Tijd: 20:26:03
Gebruiker: n.v.t.
Computer: OEMCOMPUTER
Beschrijving:
Generate Activation Context mislukt voor C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\MSIInstallPlugin.dll.Manifest. Foutmelding voor referentie: De bewerking is voltooid.

Zie Help en ondersteuning op http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp voor meer informatie.

Gebeurtenis-ID: 58
Beschrijving:
Syntaxisfout in het manifest- of beleidsbestand C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\MSIInstallPlugin.dll.Manifest in regel 2.

Zie Help en ondersteuning op http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp voor meer informatie.

Gebeurtenis-ID: 61
Beschrijving:
Syntaxisfout in het manifest- of beleidsbestand C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\MSIInstallPlugin.dll.Manifest in regel 2. Het vereiste kenmerk version ontbreekt voor het element assemblyIdentity.

Gebeurtenis-ID: 59
Beschrijving:
Generate Activation Context mislukt voor C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\EXEInstallPlugin.dll.Manifest. Foutmelding voor referentie: De bewerking is voltooid.

Gebeurtenis-ID: 58
Beschrijving:
Syntaxisfout in het manifest- of beleidsbestand C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\EXEInstallPlugin.dll.Manifest in regel 2.

Gebeurtenis-ID: 61
Beschrijving:
Syntaxisfout in het manifest- of beleidsbestand C:\Program Files\Apple Software Update\Plugins\EXEInstallPlugin.dll.Manifest in regel 2. Het vereiste kenmerk version ontbreekt voor het element assemblyIdentity.

I also did the disk check and the SFC running (didn't find the event viewer though...).

But still no Outlook .....

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Forgot to give this error messag:

[i]Type gebeurtenis: Waarschuwing
Bron van gebeurtenis: Tcpip
Gebeurtenis-ID: 4226
Tijd: 22:19:14
Beschrijving:
TCP/IP heeft de beveiligingslimiet bereikt van het aantal gelijktijdige verbindingspogingen via TCP.

Gegevens:
0000: 00 00 00 00 01 00 54 00 ......T.
0008: 00 00 00 00 82 10 00 80 ....‚..€
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I don't read that language, so hold on while I see if I can find a G2G staffer who can help.

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I can make an approx. translation if you want.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you want to and have time, please. We have a staffer who's from the Netherlands and I've sent him a message.

What is Apple Software Update?

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Let's see what your colleague makes of it! His translation will be much more accuratze than mine anyway.

I don't know what this Apple Software Update is. I checked with the kids and nobody knows. So I deleted that program.

In case I donot hear from you this week-end: merry Christmas to you, your family and the ones you love.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Happy holidays to you also. Be safe.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Here is Microsoft's explanation and suggestion for Event 4226 from source TCPIP (from this link):

Explanation
The TCP/IP stack in Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed limits the number of concurrent, incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts. When the limit is reached, subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and resolved at a fixed rate so that there are only a limited number of connections in the incomplete state. During normal operation, when programs are connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no limit is imposed on the number of connections in the incomplete state. When the number of incomplete connections exceeds the limit, for example, as a result of programs connecting to IP addresses that are not valid, connection-rate limitations are invoked, and this event is logged.

Establishing connection–rate limitations helps to limit the speed at which malicious programs, such as viruses and worms, spread to uninfected computers. Malicious programs often attempt to reach uninfected computers by opening simultaneous connections to random IP addresses. Most of these random addresses result in failed connections, so a burst of such activity on a computer is a signal that it may have been infected by a malicious program.

Connection-rate limitations may cause certain security tools, such as port scanners, to run more slowly.

User Action
This event is a warning that a malicious program or a virus might be running on the system. To troubleshoot the issue, find the program that is responsible for the failing connection attempts and, if the program might be malicious, close the program as follows.

To close the program

At the command prompt, type
Netstat –no
Find the process with a large number of open connections that are not yet established.
These connections are indicated by the TCP state SYN_SENT in the State column of the Active Connections information.
Note the process identification number (PID) of the process in the PID column.
Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and then click Task Manager.
On the Processes tab, select the processes with the matching PID, and then click End Process.
If you need to select the option to view the PID for processes, on the View menu, click Select Columns, select the PID (Process Identifier) check box, and then click OK.

Do you have antivirus software installed? If so, is it up-to-date and have you run a full scan lately? If not, do so as quickly as possible.

It might be a good idea to visit the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Advertisements

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Done.

Got a clean bill from MFDnSC.

Actually no malware nor virus was detected, computer running smoothly except for OUTLOOK !!!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts

Got a clean bill from MFDnSC.

That's good news!

Actually no malware nor virus was detected, computer running smoothly except for OUTLOOK !!!

From Post #25 "User Action", did you run NetStat to see what was generating open TCPIP connections?

And I've got two additional Microsoft articles for you to review.
813514 Please go through this article very carefully, as it is full of troubleshooting tips for your specific error.

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I'm back again.

1. NetStat: Yes I ran this command but found no SYN_SENT connections. Actually that day I had 5 connections which were all ESTABLISHED.
I ran the command again yesterday morning and had only one connection and it was ESTABLISHED.
Hereafter the info of this AM.

Microsoft Windows XP [versie 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Unknown User>Netstat -no

Actieve verbindingen

Proto Lokaal adres Extern adres Status PID
TCP 84.194.72.220:1029 84.193.167.25:10021 ESTABLISHED 1864
TCP 84.194.72.220:41618 87.126.88.98:1059 ESTABLISHED 1864
TCP 84.194.72.220:41618 87.126.195.195:1079 ESTABLISHED 1864

C:\Documents and Settings\Unknown User>

2. Thanks for the links to Microsoft support. I read it carefully and tried a few things but no, it didn't help.
Actually the problem tackled in those tips are related to problems in connecting with the ISP servers!
My outlook is connecting but not sending messages nor retrieving them from the ISP servers. When controlling the outlook profile (or creating a new one) there is a button "TESTING THE CONNECTION". When i push that button i get a message that the connection was established but that the SMTP and POP3 operations were cancelled.

3. I tried to set up an outlook profile with another ISP and got the same messages. So it is definitely not an ISP problem but my own computer who refuses to transfer incoming and outgoing mail to the ISP servers.

4. Did you receive a translation already from your Dutch colleague or shall I give it a try ?

Regards

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I got a translation for the TCPIP error 4226, but not the one that mentioned Apple Update. But since you removed that software, I don't think we'll need it.

Please check the the Event Log again and post back any new errors you're getting at the time Outlook cancels the send/receive.

Everything I'm seeing on this kind of problem indicates a firewall is blocking Outlook. Please confirm which firewall you use (you indicated Microsoft in post #5). Is that Windows XP firewall? Did you turn if off completely before doing the send/receive?

Also, please confirm no setting changes have happened in your router to block any ports.

For troubleshooting purposes, please create a new Windows account (Control Panel, User Accounts). Be sure to put it in the Administrator group. Log in with the new user and configure your mail account (the first time you open Outlook you'll be prompted to enter an email account, or you can go to Control Panel, Mail to set up a new profile and/or mail account). If this doesn't help, you can delete the new user and all his folders later.

VMSK19580

VMSK19580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I checked already wether the log showed some error messages due to my Outlook problem. But no, I receive no more error messages nor warnings in the eventlogs.

My firewall is indeed the Windows XP firewall. When turning him off outlook is giving the same messages.

I tried this morning to get connection (Internet and Outlook) with another PC but through the same router and ISP provider and ........everything went smoothly. Outlook connected and the incoming messages were downloaded to that PC.
I think that this shows clearly that my Outlook problem is clearly related to my own PC and not to the connection.

So I tried again on my own PC with AVG Free and the XP Firewall shut down but ...... no downloading of mails.