Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer basically incapacitated

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Rybo

Rybo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I'm helping someone fix their computer, and it's pretty screwed up. As I said in the title, it's pretty much incapacitated. I can't do anything on it whether it's running programs, accessing the internet, adding an external usb drive, etc. Also, when I try to do something or even when I do nothing, explorer.exe will spontaneously delete itself. Explorer.exe especially deletes itself again and again, when I go into safe mode. I went into msconfig and made the computer start up in diagnostic mode, but that hasn't helped either.

Every now and then though, I can do very limited stuff such as opening msconfig, regedit, windows explorer, the calculator, and stuff like that, but that's it.

Does anyone know of a particular virus that causes these symptoms? I figure my only chance to fix this thing or just to be able to load new stuff right now is with regedit. Are there any particular registry keys to look for and delete? Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Rybo, 16 December 2006 - 01:24 PM.

Advertisements

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
I would recommend that you don't go down the regedit route; far too risky and you'll never find all the keys.

Really before we can help you on the malware forum, we need to see logs that we can analyse.

Can I suggest that you post in the XP forum to see if any of the experts can get you up and running so that you can submit a HijackThis log as per the instructions under CLICK HERE above.

It sounds to me like you may have to do a Windows repair. If that is the way you wish to go, here are some pointers.

Please follow this link to instructions on repairing Windows XP. I would advise you to print a copy for easy reference.

Repair Windows XP Topic

Good luck.

Crustyoldbloke

Crustyoldbloke

Old Malware Surgeon with a shaky scalpel

• Retired Staff
  • 15,131 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.