Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Please bear with me.. :( "ccolgatee"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Razz

Razz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi!

My Hard disk is now back to normal! :whistling: So far non of my programs have turned into a "ccolgatee" file.

I'd even downloaded a new winrar program and it did installed properly w/o even turning into a "ccolgatee" file.

No duplicated programs were made also. I believe the virus is gone now. Even the "windows protected" thing didn't showed up anymore.

But I do still doubt one thing... I can't write files on CD with NERO. I don't know if it's still the virus or what. Everytime I try to write a file on CD, this message keeps on prompting :

This application has detected that your drive is not in DMA (direct memory access) mode. To improve your system performace we suggest you to enable DMA for all drives. Do you wish to run Nero DMA Manager for enable DMA mode right now?

What does it mean? I tried to click "yes" on the choices then it had me restart my computer in order for the setting to take effect. I did restart my computer but still when I write files, the message keeps on popping out...

Advertisements

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
I don't think this has anything to do with the virus, but it is possible that a file was changed or corrupted due to the infection.

Do you have the latest version of Nero? Also do you have all updates to Nero installed. I'd start by uninstalling then reinstalling Nero. After that go to the Nero website to check for updates to your software and install any that are available. If the problem persists, you'll be better off dealing with that problem in the Applications forum here.

** For final cleanup/followup on the infection we removed, do the following:

* If I had you use Killbox to delete any files, go ahead and delete the C:\!Killbox folder then empty the Recycle Bin.

* Check this out for info on how to tighten your security settings and some good free tools to help prevent this from happening again.

* Go to Windows update and install all "High Priority Updates".

* Now turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click "Properties".
Click the "System Restore" tab.
Put a check by "Turn off System Restore on all drives".
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn System Restore back on and create a restore point.

To turn System Restore back on:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click "Properties".
Click the "System Restore" tab.
Remove the check by "Turn off System Restore on all drives".
Click Apply, and then click OK.

To create a restore point:

Single-click "Start" and point to "All Programs".
Mouse over "Accessories", then "System Tools", and select "System Restore".
In the System Restore wizard, select the box next the text labeled "Create a restore point" and click the "Next" button.
Type a description for your new restore point. Something like "After trojan/spyware cleanup". Click "Create" and you're done.

Edited by Flrman1, 22 December 2006 - 01:55 PM.

Razz

Razz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I've updated Nero but still I've got the same message prompt. Anyway, I can still write files on the CD so I guess I'll just leave that for now. What matters is I finally got the "ccolgatee" out. I've done enough testing and observations these past days. From installing programs to inserting flash drives and no new folder with a "ccolgatee" file type was created anymore.

I've also checked the link you've provided me regarding tightening PC security.

I'm glad the virus was gone now. Without your help, I might have lost a lot of important files.

I wish to repay you for all of this. I really owe you one. But I don't have a credit card. Maybe I can send you my donation though western union. I'll check how their system works. I'm not really sure if there's still a need for western union account thingy.. After I've completed my current "project" and got paid, I'll send my donation asap.

I'll never forget this. Again, thanks, thanks and more thanks. I hope you'll never get tired taking out malwares and helping others. Good luck and have a joyous Christmas.

- Razz

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
My Pleasure! :whistling:

You have a Merry Christmas too! :blink:

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.