Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Command Prompt Crap

• Please log in to reply

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Okay so no commands I type in command prompt - not help, not ipconfig, nothing - work when I try doing so. The response is that the command is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any ideas? 100 brownie points to the first one to diagnose the problem :whistling:

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Wow, that sounds like a few things have been messed up! Have you had a word with the malware section, or even suspect you may have had a virus that might have caused this??

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
I haven't picked up any viruses running Kaspersky or any spyware that I had to worry about but I haven't done that in a while anyway so I'll check again..Gee you people are good at getting a response in though :whistling:

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
A couple of thoughts, try changing directories from C:\documents and settings\account name> to C:\Windows. It may be the file path is corrupt and most command line utilities are in the Windows folder.

If you have a Windows install CD for the version of XP your running you can try to repair the systems files by going to Start /Run /open=sfc /scannow.

imafool4u

imafool4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Progress!

When I CD to the directory H:/Windows/System32, H: being my root directory, I can access all the commandz0rs. So how do I set it up so that it automatically thinks to look there?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download FIXPATH2.ZIP. Extract the files to a folder in C:\, like C:\FIXPATH2.

RUNNING THE PROGRAM:
  • Open a command prompt window (START-->RUN and type cmd and click OK), navigate to the location where the FIXPATH.EXE file is located, and run FIXPATH.EXE.
  • It will display some preliminary information, and ask if it should continue.
  • If it successfully updates the Path value in the registry, you will need to
    reboot for the change to take effect.
If you have any questions about what this is doing, then make sure you read the FIXPATH.TXT file that was included in the zip file you downloaded and should now be located in C:\FIXPATH2, or whatever folder you extracted it to.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 16 December 2006 - 09:20 PM.